Electrical problem caused fire in Levant

Dwight McIntosh, a public safety officer for the Levant Fire Dept., helps fellow firefighters douse the house fire that broke out around 6:40 p.m. Monday, Oct. 17, on 427 Stetson Road West in Levant. Firefighters from Levant and the surrounding towns were called to the scene.
John Clarke Russ | BDN
Dwight McIntosh, a public safety officer for the Levant Fire Dept., helps fellow firefighters douse the house fire that broke out around 6:40 p.m. Monday, Oct. 17, on 427 Stetson Road West in Levant. Firefighters from Levant and the surrounding towns were called to the scene.
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted Oct. 18, 2011, at 5:58 p.m.

LEVANT, Maine — An electrical problem was cited as the cause of a fire Monday night that caused heavy damage to a historic farmhouse and attached barn on Stetson Road West.

Sgt. Timothy York of the State Fire Marshal’s Office said Tuesday that an investigator who went to the fire scene Tuesday determined that the fire began at the electrical service in the barn and that it was accidental in nature.

The residence, which once was part of a cattle farm, dated to 1853, Levant Assistant Fire Chief Nathan Peary said at the scene Monday night.

The farmstead is owned by John and Nyla Hicks and was insured.

Members of the Hicks family were at home when the fire began about 6:40 p.m. Everyone, including the family’s dogs and pet rabbit, made it out safely.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/18/news/bangor/electrical-problem-caused-fire-in-levant/ printed on August 29, 2014