April 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Waffle House Hero | Comey Memoir | Stoned Pets

Court appearance postponed for woman arrested after Newport-to-Bangor chase

Gabor Degre | BDN
Gabor Degre | BDN
A car chase ended in a series of crashes at the intersection of Hammond Street and Maine Avenue on Friday evening. The driver crashed into several police vehicles and a pickup truck that was stopped at a red light.
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The first court appearance of a Waterville woman accused of leading police on a high-speed chase from Newport to Bangor late last week was postponed Tuesday.

Courtney Quinn, 35, was charged Friday with reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, aggravated criminal mischief, eluding a police officer, passing a police roadblock and operating after suspension in connection with the incident, according to the Maine State Police.

Her appearance Tuesday afternoon at the Penobscot Judicial Center by video conference was postponed because the booking process at the Penobscot County Jail has not been completed. Quinn has been uncooperative, refusing to answer basic questions or to have her photo taken, according to jail personnel.

She caught the attention of Trooper Scott Dalton about 5:30 p.m. Friday. He was with a stopped vehicle on Interstate 95 near Newport when Quinn passed him in a tan Toyota Camry, nearly hitting another officer and a vehicle. When Dalton attempted to stop Quinn’s vehicle, she reportedly refused to pull over.

Quinn allegedly evaded police traveling northbound at speeds as high as 97 mph, passing a roadblock set up by Hampden police near Coldbrook Road. She took the exit onto Hammond Street in Bangor and drove through several parking lots and across lawns, ditches and curbs to evade police and get back onto Odlin Road, according to police.

Eventually Quinn was boxed in by several vehicles, both police and civilian, at the intersection of Odlin Road and Maine Avenue but she continued to accelerate despite being trapped, witnesses and police said Friday.

No injuries were reported in the incident. By the time Quinn had been stopped, 16 police vehicles were at the site, along with a two trucks called out to help stop the suspect’s vehicle.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like