April 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | NEA Poetry Suit | Kenduskeag Stream Race | Maine Legislature

Reported gas leak at UMaine deemed false alarm

By Meg Haskell, BDN Staff

ORONO, Maine — University of Maine police and Orono fire officials attributed a toxic gas alarm at Barrows Hall to be an alarm malfunction.

Hazardous materials specialists from the Orono Fire Department were called to Barrows Hall, an engineering and sciences building on the campus of the University of Maine, where earlier this afternoon an alarm signaled the possible escape of toxic gases from a laboratory, according to campus spokesman Joe Carr.

The alarm was triggered at 2:17 p.m., Carr said. Police were keeping motorists and pedestrians away from the scene.

The building was determined to be safe for re-occupancy shortly after 5 p.m.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like