Administrative professionals meeting
BREWER — On Wednesday, Oct. 12, the Bangor Area Chapter of the International Association of Administrative Professionals will hold their monthly meeting at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems, 43 Whiting Hill Road. The program this month, Generations in the Workplace, will be presented by Jan Byard, senior staff developer in clinical education at Eastern Maine Medical Center. The program will discuss how to build effective teams by understanding the strengths of different generations of employees to help them engage and communicate better.
In addition, Nancy Soule Marks will provide an overview of the membership benefits that IAAP has to offer.
The evening will start with networking from 5 to 5:30 p.m., followed by the program at 5:30-6:30 and the general business meeting at 6:30-7 p.m.
RSVP to Darlene Bean at email@example.com.
Best Places to Work
The 2011 Best Places to Work in Maine list has been announced by the Maine State Council of the Society for Human Resources Management. The 40 companies will be recognized during an awards banquet on Tuesday, Oct. 11, in Lewiston.
The program recognizes companies that have established and fostered consistently outstanding workplace environments. Partners endorsing the program include: Best Companies Group, the Maine State Chamber of Commerce, Employment Times and Mainebiz.
Area businesses and organizations named to the list were:
• Bangor Savings Bank, Bangor.
• Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems, Brewer.
• Hollywood Slots Hotel & Raceway, Bangor.
• Maine Savings Federal Credit Union, Hampden.
• Nurse Anesthesia of Maine, Brewer.
Also named to the list were:
• Alere Scarborough Inc., Scarborough.
• Androscoggin Bank, Lewiston.
• athenahealth Inc., Belfast.
• Bar Harbor Bank & Trust, Bar Harbor.
• Bernstein Shur, Portland.
• Burgess Advertising & Marketing, Portland.
• CashStar, Portland.
• Cianbro, Pittsfield.
• Consigli Construction Co. Inc., Portland.
• Edward Jones, Eliot.
• emg3, Portland.
• FISC Solutions, Lewiston.
• Garrand, Portland.
• GreenPages Technology Solutions.
• Hall Internet Marketing, Scarborough.
• Holden Agency Insurance, Portland.
• Hurley Travel Experts, Portland.
• Kepware Technologies, Portland.
• L.L. Bean Inc., Freeport.
• Machias Savings Bank, Machias.
• Maine Eye Care Associates, Waterville.
• Maine State Credit Union, Augusta.
• MMG Insurance Co., Presque Isle.
• Mountain Ltd., New Gloucester.
• New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc., Norway.
• PeoplesChoice Credit Union, Saco.
• Port Harbor Marine, South Portland.
• PowerPay LLC, Portland.
• Saco & Biddeford Savings Institution, Saco.
• Skowhegan Savings Bank, Skowhegan.
• The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor.
• Turner Barker Insurance, Portland.
• Tyler Technologies, Falmouth.
• Unum, Portland.
• Volk Packaging Corp., Biddeford.
Companies are divided into two size categories, 15-249 employees, and more than 250 employees. Entrants must:
• Have at least 15 employees working in Maine.
• Be a for-profit or not-for-profit business or government entity.
• Be a publicly or privately held business.
• Have a facility in the state of Maine.
• Be in business a minimum of one year.
Companies were evaluated according to workplace policies, practices and demographics, worth about 25 percent; and an employee survey to measure the employee experience, worth 75 percent of the score. Best Companies Group managed the overall registration and survey process in Maine and also analyzed the data and used their expertise to determine the final rankings.
For more information on the Best Places to Work in Maine program, visit http://www.BestPlacestoWorkinME.com or contact Jackie Miller at 877-455-2159.
BANGOR — MaineStream Finance will host the Maine Marketplace on Saturday, Oct. 8, at the Bangor Mall. New and small businesses of five or fewer employees are invited to participate in this year’s Maine Marketplace, which is an opportunity for businesses to showcase their products and-or services.
The Bangor Mall offers a wide selection of customers. The early holiday shoppers, leaf peepers and the Canadian tourists will be out on Oct. 8 of Columbus Day weekend.
Individuals interested in featuring their small business at the Maine Marketplace still have time to register. The registration fee is $85. For information, contact James Macomber at firstname.lastname@example.org, 564-7116, ext. 2476, or 800-215-4942, ext. 2476.
New Slots executives
BANGOR — Rachel Bailey, a native of Fairfield, has been promoted to director of finance at Hollywood Slots Hotel and Raceway.
The position requires Bailey to oversee all accounting operations at the facility as well as information technology, compliance, analysis and planning, revenue audit, player services and purchasing.
“Rachel Bailey has played an important role in our facilities history,” said John Osborne, general manager of Hollywood Slots Hotel and Raceway. “Rachel possesses over 20 years of accounting and financial experience. Her attention to detail and broad knowledge of our facilities operations makes her an important asset to our team and I am pleased to continue working with such a skilled and dedicated individual.”
Bailey graduated with a bachelor’s degree in business administration and accounting from the University of Maine in Orono in 1991. She began working for Hollywood Slots Hotel and Raceway in 2005 on a team that was responsible for opening the very first gaming operation in Maine. In 2008 Bailey was a on a team responsible for opening the permanent location of Hollywood Slots.
Bailey began working in her new position at the casino this summer.
Michele Collins of Holden has been promoted to director of marketing at Hollywood Slots Hotel and Raceway. The former direct mail manager at Hollywood Slots will now be responsible for developing marketing strategies, including efforts for existing and new businesses, as well as media and advertising planning.
“Michele has done a great job enhancing our marketing efforts in her role as direct mail manager,” said Osborne. “Her promotion to director of marketing will allow her to push us forward in creating new and innovative marketing strategies. Her presence at our facility and in the Bangor community as a leader makes her a joy to work beside.”
Collins has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Maine. She began working at Hollywood Slots in July of 2009. Collins volunteers her time to the American Folk Festival, working on the board of directors, Development Committee, and is also chair of the Communications Committee. Collins works with the American Heart Ball and is on the board of directors.
Collin’s promotion became effective Aug. 17.