Spurling, Lahey, Guiski among 13 selected for Maine Sports Legends’ Hall of Honors

BDN staff reports
Posted Oct. 04, 2011, at 1:22 p.m.

Star basketball player and coach Terry Spurling, former Old Town High School athletic director Bob Lahey Jr. and former Dexter coach Ed Guiski are among 13 men and women who have been elected into Maine Sports Legends’ Hall of Honors.

The ceremony is scheduled for Sunday at the Alfond Youth Ceremony in Waterville. Festivities start with a social half hour at noon, followed by a banquet at 12:30 p.m. Tickets are $35 and can be obtained by calling Paul McClay at 622-1539 or by email at PaulMcClay@msn.com.

Also entering the Hall of Honors are, from northern Maine: Frank Tapley, Donald “Lefty” Graves and Emmett “Bud” Porter; eastern Maine: Bill Fletcher; central Maine: Wallace Donovan, Joseph Linscott and Francis Purnell; and southern Maine: Bob Brown, Faith Littlefield and Jim Beaudry.

Tapley, Graves, Lahey, Donovan and Littlefield will all be honored posthumously.

SPURLING starred at Ellsworth High School, and the Eagles won state Class L basketball titles in 1953 and ’54, his freshman and sophomore years. The ’54 team has been inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame, and he was named to the Bangor Daily News’ All-Maine second team in 1956. He played at the University of Maine for three years. After graduation in 1960, he started teaching physical education and coaching boys basketball at Aroostook Central Institute in Mars Hill (now Central Aroostook High School), then went to Houlton as teacher and athletic director and he coached boys basketball from 1964-77.

LAHEY, a Rumford native, founded the Maine Interscolastic Athletic Directors Association in 1974 and was its executive director until his death in 1994. He played basketball for four years at Lewiston High and also lettered in football. At St. Mary’s University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, he once scored a record-setting 60 points in a game. He coached football at Wilton Academy and basketball at Mt. Blue in Farmington, then took over as boys basketball coach at Old Town in 1972. He became athletic director in 1978 and oversaw the addition of field hockey, ice hockey, tennis, soccer, girls cross country and girls indoor track. He was selected Maine AD of the Year in ’82, and the award is now named for him.

GUISKI was a four-year letter-winner in football, basketball, baseball and track at Winslow High, scoring more than 1,000 points in his basketball career. After attending Boston University on a football and basketball scholarship, then going into the Army, he went to the University of Southern Maine and played basketball for two years, serving as captain the last year. Guiski coached baseball at Windham, then coached basketball for 31 years at Dexter and also coached golf, football and cross country. The Tigers won two Eastern Maine Class B boys basketball championships and claimed the state title in 1986. The Dexter High gym is named in his honor.

FLETCHER, a Milo native, coached basketball at Mattanawcook Academy in Lincoln and Falmouth, then moved into administration, including AD positions at Dexter and Brewer. He was named Maine AD of the Year in 1988 while at Dexter. After retiring from Brewer in 1992, he was named Eastern Maine Basketball Tournament Director and regional and state cheerleading championship director.

TAPLEY, an Ashland native, played basketball and baseball at Aroostook Central and the University of Maine before getting into coaching at Sherman. In 1946, he moved to Easton where the Bears won the state Class S boys basketball title in 1957. He also played baseball and basketball on the Easton town teams.

GRAVES picked up his nickname in high school at Aroostook Central for his lefthanded jump shot in basketball and slow curve in baseball. He pitched for the Mars Hill Cubs town team. He also got involved in harness racing, sending horses to Foxborough, Mass., Rockingham, N.H., The Meadowlands (N.J.), Scarborough and the Maine fair circuit. He was appointed to the Maine Harness Racing Commission in 1988.

PORTER, a lifelong Mars Hill resident and a 1949 Aroostook Central Institute graduate, was a longtime coach, basketball official and outdoorsman. He played basketball and baseball at ACI, then played catcher at Aroostook State Normal School (now UM-Presque Isle). He also played town ball for 10 years. He started coaching baseball at ACI in 1957 and his teams won Aroostook League titles in ‘58 and ‘59. He also coached girls basketball and softball. The 1977 softball team was state Class C runner-up. He was a Maine basketball official from 1955-76.

DONOVAN was captain of the baseball, football and basketball teams at Waterville High and was a two-time All-America honorable mention as a running back at Colby. He was coach and athletic director at Waterville for 38 years. His football teams won state titles in 1937 and 1944, and basketball teams won state titles in ‘44, ‘45 and ‘49 and the New England championship in ‘44. He was inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006, and the gym at the high school is dedicated to him.

LINSCOTT has been responsible for the maintenance of McGuire and Morton fields in Augusta since 1979, as well as being a manager, all-star manager, league director and president for both Augusta East Little League and Augusta Babe Ruth. He has also served on the Capitol Area Recreation Association since 1974, and was named 1975 Kenneth Sills Award winner for Little League Manager of the Year and 1994 winner of the Dick McGuire Award for athletics and community service.

BEAUDRY, a 1941 graduate of Cheverus High in Portland, was AD at St. Francis College (now University of New England) in Biddeford for 21 years and coached baseball, men’s basketball, men’s soccer, cross country and golf. He was inducted into the NE Basketball Hall of Fame in 2004, and the new basketball gym will be dedicated to him later this year.

PURNELL coached Little League baseball in his hometown of Waterville when he accepted the post as interim president of his league. Afterward, the move was made permanent and he is still at it 34 years later. Now, he’s president of both the National and American leagues, which have merged to become the Waterville Cal Ripken Little League. He has been instrumental in getting their field upgraded, and in honor of his efforts, the field has been renamed for him.

BROWN has coached at three colleges, including Boston University, as well as at eight Maine high schools, starting at Belgrade, then Williams (Messalonskee) in Oakland and Rockland before getting the job at South Portland in 1974. He coached the Red Riots to 22-0 state-title seasons in 1979 and ’80 before moving to the college ranks. He returned to high school coaching at Bonny Eagle in Standish in 1996, and since 2002 he has coached at Cheverus, winning gold balls in 2008 and 2010.

LITTLEFIELD was a longtime field hockey coach at Bonny Eagle, where her teams won nine Western Maine Class A titles and seven state championships. Her overall field hockey record was 350-102-39, and she was featured as the No. 2 field hockey coach in Michael Kohler’s book “America’s Greatest Coaches.”

In addition to honoring the Hall of Honor inductees, the banquet Maine Sports Legends puts on will raise money to fund scholarships for scholar-athletes.

Eight have been named this year: Shelby Hartin of Southern Aroostook of Dyer Brook, Duncan Flynn of Caribou, Dacie Manion of Old Town, Evan Nadeau of Brewer, Carolyn Joseph of St. Dominic of Auburn, Michael McCann of Winslow, Danielle Tomes of Yarmouth and Eric Trautman-Mosher of Morse of Bath.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/04/sports/spurling-lahey-guiski-among-13-selected-for-maine-sports-legends%e2%80%99-hall-of-honors/ printed on July 31, 2014