RICHMOND, Maine — A 9-year-old boy who was burned in a house fire Sunday was in critical condition at a Boston hospital Monday night. The fire resulted from the boy playing with a lighter.
Michael Coston suffered burns over 60 percent of his body when fire broke out at his River Road home, according to a Kennebec Journal report. He was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston and later flown to Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston.
According to dispatch logs, the 911 call came in from the home at about 10:41 a.m., and the boy was outside when firefighters arrived.
He lives at the home with his father, Donald Coston, and Coston’s daughter, who wasn’t home when the fire broke out.
Route 24 was closed for several hours due to the fire. The State Fire Marshal’s Office confirmed the fire resulted from the boy’s playing with a lighter.