So often in this space, we’ve dwelled on the negative, tut-tutting about high-calorie foods dripping with fat and laden with nitrates. Today, we present only good caloric news, gleaned from “The Men’s Health Big Book of Food&Nutrition.” Dig in and take our quiz:
1. Ground bison is a great alternative to hamburger from, you know, a cow. How many calories does a 4-ounce bison burger (sans bun and condiments) pack?
2. Which of these so-called “other meats” has the fewest calories per 4-ounce serving?
a) venison (deer tenderloin)
3. Which has the most protein?
4. Which of the following contains the least amount of fat per 4-ounce serving?
5. Say you’re at a deli and are faced with a choice of meat for your sandwich. Caloriewise, which is the best choice?
Answers: 1: b; 2: a (venison: 168; alligator: 260; lamb: 272); 3: b (alligator: 52 grams; venison: 32 grams; lamb: 20 grams); 4: b (rabbit: 4 grams; alligator: 5 grams; bison 16 grams); 5: b (pastrami: 41 calories; bologna: 87 calories; salami: 114 calories).