ORONO and OLD TOWN — After the success of Stillwater Artsapalooza, Stillwater Community Arts has announced the ﬁrst Fall into the Arts workshop series. On Saturday, Oct. 1, the group will offer a series of 90-minute workshops at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the Orono-Old Town area.
Workshops are 90 minutes, cost $15 (plus any materials fee listed), and will take place at Asa Adams Elementary School in Orono or Old Town Elementary School, unless otherwise speciﬁed. Workshops will be ﬁlled ﬁrst come, ﬁrst served.
For more information, pick up a brochure and registration form at: Old Town Public Library, Old Town Elementary School, Orono Parks and Recreation, Orono Town Ofﬁce, Orono Public Library, Asa Adams Elementary School or the Church of Universal Fellowship; or email email@example.com to have a brochure sent to you. For questions, contact Cami Carter at 401-274-6221.
10 a.m. workshops:
• Beginning Embroidery, techniques for successful embroidery with Michele Goldman at Fiberphilia in Orono. Use embroidery wools, crewels, hand-dyed on a farm in Medford, to stitch a Tudor rose. The class will run for both sessions with lunch break in between. All materials included, limit 10 participants.
• Juggle-rama! basic three-ball cascade with Zach Field at Old Town Elementary School. Field will break the seemingly complex art into easy-to-learn steps. More advanced jugglers also are welcome, and will learn more complex patterns and tricks. All ages.
• Latin and Swing Dancing, basic steps of merengue, salsa and samba, taught in a line dance format, with Ann Ross at Asa Adams Elementary School. Learn easy swing steps including basic turns, Charleston and dips. Partner required, no dance experience needed.
• Seaglass and Shells Jewelry Making, wire-wrapping sea glass and shells into pendants with Ency Whitehill at 54 Gilbert St., Orono, limit six participants. Materials fee of $5 includes tools and materials to make three pendants. Beginners welcome.
1 p.m. workshops:
• Balloon Mania, balloon sculpting with Zach Field at Old Town Elementary School. From the simple dog to the complex motorcycle, this is the chance to learn how to fashion simple balloons into exotic animals and amazing shapes. Basic balloon twisting skills are covered, as well as more advanced techniques. All ages.
• Crystal Pendant Jewelry Making, wire-wrapping a water-quartz crystal pendant. Participants will make two crystal pendants, and beginners are welcome. Ency Whitehill teaches the workshop at 54 Gilbert St., Orono. Materials fee $5. Limit six participants.
• Stomp the Yard: Be the Beat! Using buckets, garbage cans, water jugs, sticks and body percussion, participants will create rhythms and steppin’ choreography to rock the house with Ann Ross at Asa Adams Elementary School. If possible, bring drum sticks or two sturdy sticks from nature, 8-10 inches long and one-half to 1 inch in diameter. All ages.
Workshops at both 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
• Beginning Bookbinding with Nancy Leavitt at Asa Adams Elementary School, single signature binding and its variations. The single signature book is a gathering of papers, folded in two and sewn through the center. Each student will make several hand-sewn book models and learn how to make simple bookbinding tools to start their own bindery. No experience necessary, must be able to use a sewing needle or be accompanied by adult. Bring pencil, scissors, glue stick and apron (optional). Materials fee $2. Limit of 12 participants.
• Beginning Print Making with Pam Dunphy, Old Town Elementary School. Everyone will go home with several prints ready to frame. Materials fee $3. Limit 10 participants. Pam Dunphy
• Encaustic Painting with Ed Nadeau, Asa Adams Elementary School, instruction on how to make and use encaustic painting, the ancient medium of the Egyptians. Included are materials such as waxes, pigments; and use and manufacture of the medium. Topics include proper painting surfaces, types of waxes, brushes, hot plates, general painting techniques, collage and polychroming sculpture. Materials fee $3. Limit 15 participants.
• Handbell Choir Basics with Tiffany Twitchell, Church of Universal Fellowship, Main Street, Orono, the basics of English Handbell ringing. Participants will learn playing techniques and how to play in a choir. No musical experience needed. All ages.
• Improvisational Theatre with Telly Coolong, Asa Adams Elementary School. Participants will think on their feet, perform scenes without a script and understand fundamentals of improvisational acting through performance and observation. Age 14 and up. Limit 20 participants.
• Origami Garland Workshop with Kathy Schilmoeller at Asa Adams Elementary School. Make festive garlands using paper beads folded from recycled paper to bring color to a room, decorate a tree or add a festive touch to a celebration. Bring paper you are ready to recycle. Many kinds of paper can be used. Also bring small scissors, small paper cutter, writing tools. Age 14 and up. Limit 10 participants.
• Storytelling, Song and Signing with Ana Caballaro at Old Town Elementary School. Learn the art of American Sign Language with music and stories. All ages.
• Watercolor Painting with Janice Hambelton at Old Town Elementary School. A basic watercolor class for all ages will include mixing and blending colors. Participants will work on landscapes and-or ﬂowers. Materials fee $3.