June 22, 2018
Police Beat Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Trescott man arrested in connection with burglary spree facing 10 charges

Courtesy of Bangor Police Department
Courtesy of Bangor Police Department
Benjamin M. Lyons
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Trescott man was arrested early Monday morning in connection with a string of burglaries in Bangor that occurred over a two-day period.

Benjamin M. Lyons, 35, now faces charges two counts of Class C felony burglary, three counts of criminal mischief, two counts of theft and one count each of attempted burglary, unlawful possession of a scheduled drug and possession of burglar tools, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said Tuesday.

As of late Tuesday night, Lyons remained at Penobscot County Jail, where he was being held on $300 cash bail, a jail official confirmed.

At the time of his arrest, Lyons was wanted on five active warrants, one of them for $670 out of Penobscot County and four amounting to $2,143.81 out of Washington County, jail records indicated.

According to Edwards, the series of events that led to Lyons’ arrest began about 2:30 a.m. Monday, when Bangor police Officers Joe Page, Kevin Murphy and Josh Kuhn were sent to check out an alarm at a business on outer Broadway.

When they arrived, the officers found a broken window and what appeared to be evidence that a burglary just had occurred, Edwards said. The officers were informed that at least one other business had a similar alarm the night before and that a home on Pushaw Road had been burglarized.

While Page was waiting for a business owner to arrive, Murphy searched for suspects and signs of any other business that might had been hit, Edwards said. Within minutes, he found a second business that appeared to have been broken into.

Murphy radioed his location to the other officers and minutes later Kuhn reported that he had located and was holding a suspect later identified as Lyons in that vicinity.

Detective Joel Nadeau and the Bangor Police Department’s Evidence Response Team, as well as a tracking dog team from the Old Town Police Department, assisted with the investigation, Edwards said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like