Police explain Union electrocution death

Posted Sept. 26, 2011, at 10:16 a.m.
Last modified Sept. 26, 2011, at 6:24 p.m.

UNION, Maine — Police released a few more details Monday about the electrocution of a 21-year-old Jefferson man who died Saturday.

Steven Crossley, who worked off and on for Winter Winds Farms in Union, was installing a fan in a barn there at around 3 p.m. Saturday when the accident occurred, according to the Knox County Sheriff’s Office.

“It appears that Crossley had incorrectly wired a new plug (power cord) to a barn fan exhaust motor. Upon arriving on scene, [it was] determined that the outlet source that was used to power the exhaust fan via extension cord, was in fact live and had current flowing through it,” Sheriff Donna Dennison said in an email Monday.

A farmhand found Crossley and called police, but the man was pronounced dead on scene.

Story continues below advertisement.

The death seems to be an accident, Dennison said.

Recommend this article

SEE COMMENTS →

Similar Articles

More in Midcoast