June 21, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Pride | Janet Mills | Urban Farming Ban

Canadian accused of threatening to blow up bus in Houlton remains jailed in Aroostook

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

HOULTON, Maine — A Canadian man who held police at bay for nine hours by threatening to blow up a Cyr Bus Line bus unless he was taken to Canada in late March remains at the Aroostook County Jail as his case moves through the court system.

A conference regarding the case against Daniel Thomas Maccabee, 50, was held on Wednesday in Aroostook County Superior Court in Houlton, Assistant District Attorney Kurt Kafferlin said Friday afternoon. Maccabee, who was living in Madison, Wisc., before the incident, has not yet decided whether he will request a trial.

The 50-year-old was arrested on March 30, arraigned and indicted in May on one court of terrorizing and three counts of assault.

Maccabee, who is a Canadian citizen, was en route to Houlton from Bangor when he told the bus driver that he wanted to go to the Canadian border and ordered him not to stop in Houlton, according to police. The driver refused and pulled the bus into the Irving Big Stop restaurant in Houlton, which is the bus line’s customary depot, at around 8:30 p.m.

Maccabee told the driver that he had a bomb and showed him what appeared to be a detonator that had three wires connected to it. The wires went from the device to a bulge under his jacket and shirt.

He allegedly assaulted three women before he allowed them to get off the bus by punching one, kicking another and grabbing the third woman by the hair and pushing her. He allowed the six passengers and the driver to leave the vehicle. Maccabee told police that his original plan was to force the bus to the Houlton border port of entry, show the bomb to Canadian immigration authorities and demand asylum at the Israeli consulate in Ottawa. Maccabee indicated that once he arrived there, he would give himself up.

Just before police were preparing to force Maccabee off the bus with gas, he gave himself up. No explosive devices were found.

Kafferlin said that Maccabee, who is being represented by attorney Mike Carpenter of Houlton, has undergone a competency evaluation which detected no issues.

He has pleaded not guilty to the charges and is being held on $25,000 secured bond or $5,000 cash bail.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like