Moosehead Boulevard fire started outside building, no cause yet determined

Smoke and flames erupt from the rooftop of an apartment complex on Moosehead Boulevard in Bangor on Tuesday.
Smoke and flames erupt from the rooftop of an apartment complex on Moosehead Boulevard in Bangor on Tuesday.
Posted Sept. 21, 2011, at 1:47 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — Investigators have determined a fire that engulfed a Bangor apartment complex on Tuesday morning started outside the building.

The blaze at a public housing complex located at 82-88 Moosehead Blvd. displaced six families — a total of 20 people.

Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Rick Cheverie said officials still don’t know what started the fire, but it likely won’t take long to determine a cause.

“It might be a … few days before we make a final determination,” he said Wednesday. “We’re still wrapping up interviews. We want to make sure we’re very certain with the cause.”

Cheverie wouldn’t say whether investigators believe the fire was suspicious.

The apartment building, located on the corner of Moosehead Boulevard and Fort Knox Avenue, contains six units, but just four were affected by the blaze. No firefighters or tenants were injured in the fire, and the Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross along with the Bangor Housing Authority, which owns the building, are aiding victims.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor