Buchholz OK after simulated game

Boston Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz throws long toss as he works out prior to the second baseball game of the Red Sox's doubleheader against the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park in Boston, Monday Sept. 19, 2011. Buchholz, who is currently on the disabled list, threw 32 pitches in a simulated game Tuesday.
Charles Krupa/AP
Boston Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz throws long toss as he works out prior to the second baseball game of the Red Sox's doubleheader against the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park in Boston, Monday Sept. 19, 2011. Buchholz, who is currently on the disabled list, threw 32 pitches in a simulated game Tuesday.
Posted Sept. 20, 2011, at 8:31 p.m.
Last modified Sept. 20, 2011, at 11:14 p.m.

BOSTON — Boston righthander Clay Buchholz reported no problems Tuesday after throwing a 32-pitch simulated game before the Red Sox played the Baltimore Orioles.

Buchholz is still hoping to pitch again this season, especially in the playoffs.

“Everything went well,” Buchholz said after throwing to the club’s extra players following a 25-pitch bullpen warmup.

“Location wasn’t what it should be, which is expected, but the ball is coming out of my hand and there’s no problem with the back.”

Buchholz, who hasn’t pitched since June 16 because of a stress fracture, isn’t sure what the plan is going forward, but hopes to be starting if the team reaches the playoffs.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to build up to throw five innings (during the rest of the regular season), but that’s the team’s call,” Buchholz said.

“If they want me to come back and get some innings, we’ve got to see how this postseason run is going to be and go from there.”

As far as helping the Red Sox rotation in the playoffs, Buchholz said, “Yeah, that’s what I want to do. Today was the first step in that direction and everything’s going good.”

“He threw 32 and actually looked pretty good,” manager Terry Francona said. “Now we’ll obviously wait and see how he bounces back and see when and where to go the next step.”

The next step would come Thursday or Friday. The regular season ends next Wednesday.

In other team news, the Red Sox got Carl Crawford back in the lineup Tuesday night, after the left fielder missed Monday’s day-night doubleheader with a stiff neck.

“Good enough to play,” Francona said. “He’s sore but able to move. Yesterday he couldn’t move so that’s good news.”

The news wasn’t as good on Kevin Youkilis, who is still out of the lineup with a sports hernia and hip bursitis.

GUILLEN WANTS CLOSURE

CLEVELAND — Ozzie Guillen doesn’t want to talk baseball on his vacation.

The Chicago White Sox manager would like to know his future with the organization before leaving on a trip to Spain with his wife two days after Chicago’s final game on Sept. 28.

“Only two gods know, Jerry’s God and the real God know what my future is going to be here,” Guillen said before the first game of Tuesday’s day-night doubleheader with the Indians.

“I don’t want to spend time with my wife thinking about baseball or thinking about my future,” he said. “I hope my conversation having dinner with my wife is about having fun and forgetting about this crazy summer and this very sad summer, if you put it that way.”

The 47-year-old Guillen has been the manager since 2004 and led the White Sox to the World Series championship a year later, and the team exercised its option on his contract for 2012 in January.

Chicago, expected to contend for the AL Central title, is finishing a disappointing season. The White Sox are in third place with a 74-78 record and were eliminated from the playoffs last week.

Guillen admitted the White Sox fell short of expectations.

“I don’t say (it was) embarrassing, but we didn’t get where we wanted to get,” Guillen said. “It makes you think, and it makes you wonder if you’re that good. It makes you wonder if you’re managing well and if my coaching staff did its job.”

Several key players, most notably Adam Dunn and Alex Rios, have had poor seasons. Guillen’s decision to go with a six-man pitching rotation also has been questioned.

“At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter,” he said. “You had a losing season. That’s all that matters. A lot of people have to look at themselves in the mirror from the top to the bottom to see if we did the right thing with this ballclub this year.”

Guillen knows as manager he should be held accountable for what happened this season.

“I will take the blame,” he said. “I don’t make any excuses for anything. They gave me a good ballclub, and we didn’t play well. We didn’t play the way we should be playing; I should be part of that.”

MARTINELLI CONGRATULATES RIVERA

NEW YORK — Mariano Rivera says he received a phone call from President Ricardo Martinelli of Panama congratulating him on his record-setting save.

The New York Yankees closer, born in Panama City, said Tuesday it was an honor and a privilege to speak with President Martinelli, who thanked Rivera and wished him good luck.

Rivera says he also received a congra tulatory text message from Trevor Hoffman, who held the previous major league mark of 601 career saves before Rivera notched No. 602 on Monday against the Minnesota Twins. Rivera celebrated with teammates afterward at a party for longtime athletic trainer Gene Monahan in a steakhouse at Yankee Stadium.

Monahan is retiring after this season.

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports