Maine lighthouses open to the public Saturday
Bangor Daily News file photo
Maine residents and tourists alike were able to visit and tour the inside of more than two dozen lighthouses including Marshall Point Lighthouse and Museum in St. George as seen here Saturday morning, Sept. 18, 2010 as part of the second annual Maine Open Lighthouse Day. The light station dates back to 1831 and was last operated by a lightkeeper in 1971 when it was automated. The lighthouse now belongs to the Town of St. George while the Coast Guard is in charge of operating the light and fog horn.
Posted Sept. 17, 2011, at 11:52 a.m.
PORTLAND, Maine — Two dozen lighthouses in Maine are open to the public for the third annual Maine Open Lighthouse Day.
The U.S. Coast Guard is opening ocean, river and island lighthouses from Biddeford to Lubec for public tours on Saturday.
The event is billed as the largest of its kind in the country. It’s coordinated by the Coast Guard, in conjunction with the American Lighthouse Foundation and the Maine Office of Tourism.
Most of the lighthouses are open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for guided or self-guided tours.
People can visit the www.lighthouseday.com website for more information.