The calendar says September, so it must be National Honey Month. Gee, has it been a year already? Check out what all the buzz is about by taking our quiz.
1. Which of these three sweeteners contains the most calories per tablespoon?
a) White sugar
c) Brown sugar
2. How much honey do Americans consume per year?
a) 206 million pounds
b) 300 million pounds
c) 410 million pounds
3. What percentage of that honey was produced in the United States?
a) 23 percent
b) 44 percent
c) 61 percent
4. To honey nerds, the best-tasting nectar comes from mono-floral honey — derived from a single plant species. Which of these plants is not listed among top varietal honey producers?
b) California poppy
c) Yellow star thistle
5. Which state produces the most honey per year?
c) North Dakota
ANSWERS: 1: b (honey: 64 calories; brown: 51; white: 48); 2: c; 3: c; 4: b; 5: c.
Sources: www.honey.com; www.mayoclinic.com; www.starthistlehoney.com