SOUTH BERWICK, Maine — Two teen boys are in intensive care after it appears they consumed the main ingredient contained in antifreeze.
Police responded to a call on Sunday morning to a report by the parents of a 16-year-old local boy saying their son and his 15-year-old Eliot friend appeared to be intoxicated, according to South Berwick Police Chief Dana Lajoie.
Upon investigation, officers urged the parents to take both boys to a hospital due to them exhibiting side effects from what appeared to be a poisoning.
The two boys were taken by their parents to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, N.H., and are currently in intensive care. One of the boys is still in a coma state, while the other has somewhat come to and has begun to speak a little bit to those around him, Lajoie said.
Police have determined that what appears to be an ingredient contained in antifreeze was found within the boys’ systems.
According to Lajoie, his department is still investigating the case, but they are leaning toward an accidental consumption by the boys of the ingredient, rather than an apparent double-suicide attempt.
Distributed by McClatchy Information Services
To see more of the Foster’s Daily Democrat, visit fosters.com