GRAND ISLE — Seventy-two firemen from eight Aroostook County fire departments battled a large fire Sunday afternoon that consumed a three-story building, two garages and a vacant house in the so-called Lille section of Grand Isle.
Mike True, who owned the three-story building, had been using a soldering iron to strip paint off a piece of furniture at about 3:45 p.m. in his garage when an electrical light fell into the solder, according to Gary Campbell, Grand Isle fire chief. The contact ignited a fire that quickly spread through True’s garage and his three-story house that included an antique shop on the first floor and his living quarters on the second floor, Campbell said.
The fire got a jump from the lacquer that was inside the barn and from the wind that fanned it causing it to spread to a neighboring homeowner’s garage and a vacant building across the street. Both of those buildings were demolished as well, the chief said. The fire was so hot that it melted the siding of the department’s No. 2 fire station in the area.
Campbell said no one was injured in the accidental fire. True and his neighbor were insured.