ORONO, Maine — Residents, University of Maine students and people from surrounding communities are invited to eat, dance and shop at the Orono Village Festival on Saturday.
The celebration starts at 7:30 a.m. with a pancake breakfast at the Orono Fire Department. The cost of breakfast is $4 per person or $11 for a family. Food will be served until 9 a.m.
Mill Street will be shut down for the day to make way for more than 30 tables set up by organizations from the town and university, as well as food and craft vendors.
A 1-mile road race is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. A 5K race is set to begin at 9:45 a.m. Both races start and end at the Asa C. Adams School. Registration starts at 8 a.m. behind the Fire Department and town offices.
A children’s games area located off Mill Street will open at 10 a.m. and will feature games and activities with prizes, an inflatable bounce house and slide. The games area closes at 2 p.m. and vendors will close their booths at 3 p.m.
Musical acts are lined up throughout the day and will perform on a stage outside Parks Hardware. The performers are:
• The Dirigo Winds Band under the direction of Fred Heath, 9-9:30 a.m.
• Acoustic country rock from Cheryl and Company, 9:45-10:30 a.m.
• A cappella performance from Good Time Sounds, 10:30-11:15 a.m.
• Old-time rock music from Bob Scovil and the Intruders, 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
• Classic rock from Everett Dumas, 12:30-1:15 p.m.
• Alternative rock from Blast Addicts, 1:30-2:15 p.m.
• Classic rock performance by Frank and the Red Hots, 2:30-3:15 p.m.
For more information, call the Orono Parks and Recreation Department at 866-5065 or see the schedule online at www.orono.org.