June 20, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Woman involved in 2005 standoff charged with threatening state, federal officials

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

PORTLAND, Maine — The woman who caused an 8½-hour standoff at her Fayette home in 2005 is scheduled to appear Tuesday in U.S. District Court charged with threatening federal and state employees.

Charlotte Bea Palm, 50, of Cape Coral, Fla., is charged with interstate threatening communication and obscene or harassing telephone calls in May.

She was arrested July 22 in Florida, according to court documents filed in federal court in Portland. Palm has been held without bail since then and was returned to Maine last week by the U.S. Marshal Service.

Palm’s recent arrest is linked to an incident on July 26, 2005, when members of the Fayette Fire Department responded to a medical call concerning Palm’s mother, according to court documents. As Palm’s husband, Jason Palm, who now lives with his wife in Florida, left the house to follow the ambulance, he told the fire chief that his wife was homicidal and suicidal.

Charlotte Palm refused to leave the house or relinquish the gun, so law enforcement from the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office and the Maine State Police were called to the scene. She surrendered to authorities after tear gas was fired into the home. Inside, investigators found a .22 caliber rifle and a 9 mm pistol, according to court documents.

As a result of the incident, she was charged with criminal threatening and told to appear in state court on Sept. 21, 2005. Palm failed to appear. A warrant was issued for her arrest but had not been served as of July 2011.

In July 2007, Jason Palm sued the state and Kennebec County officials in U.S. District Court in Portland over the standoff. Acting as his own attorney, he alleged that the police lied about his wife and the standoff. He also claimed that his wife was falsely accused. U.S. Magistrate Judge Margaret Kravchuk in September 2008 ruled in favor of the myriad of officials Jason Palm sued.

The federal charges against Charlotte Palm stemmed from phone calls allegedly made in May 2011 to Kravchuk’s Bangor home, the federal court clerk’s office in Bangor, the home and office phone of an investigator with the Maine Attorney General’s Office, Kennebec County Sheriff’s detectives and others who were involved in the standoff and subsequent prosecution and the federal lawsuit.

According to court documents, Charlotte Palm left the following message on the a voicemail of the judicial assistant to U.S. District Judge D. Brock Hornby in Portland: “‘Let me tell you something. We’re gonna find out the truth about what happened at the case of Palm versus the State of Maine and if we find out that Judge Hornby was corrupt too, that [expletive] will go down just like the rest of ‘em. He’s gonna go down even harder. We’re checking in to you too Hornby. You’re not off the hook by any means.’”

If convicted of the federal charges, Charlotte Palm faces up to five years and a fine of up to $250,000. She also faces charges in Kennebec County for the standoff and failing to show up in court six years ago.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like