June 24, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Faulty ventilation system blamed in Raymond deaths

The Associated Press

RAYMOND, Maine — An investigator say a deteriorated ventilation system for a propane-fueled generator appears to have contributed to the deaths of a Pennsylvania couple who most likely died of carbon monoxide poisoning at their Maine summer home.

The bodies of 85-year-old Lewis Somers III and his wife, 84-year-old wife Elizabeth Somers of Lafayette Hill, Penn., were found Tuesday in Raymond. Firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide in the house.

The Portland Press Herald says Elizabeth Somers was found sitting in a chair in a first-floor bedroom of the two-story house, and Lewis Somers was found in the living room.

Sheriff Capt. Jeff Davis says there were cracks in the flexible metal hose that was being used to vent the fumes from the generator, installed in the basement in the 1980s.


Information from: Portland Press Herald, http:// www.pressherald.com

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like