Westbrook man catches fire while smoking on oxygen

By William Davis, BDN Staff
Posted Aug. 31, 2011, at 9:48 a.m.

WESTBROOK, Maine β€” A Westbrook man died Wednesday morning after catching fire, according to police.

Early indications are that Gerald A. Demers, 63, was smoking while using oxygen, according to Chief Michael Pardue of the Westbrook Police Department.

β€œThe gentleman had just come out onto the porch and appeared to be having a cigarette while still connected to oxygen,” Pardue told the Bangor Daily News.

The incident occurred around 4 a.m. Wednesday at 9 Tramway Lane, according to the release. Emergency responders found a man on the front porch of the building engulfed in flames and nonresponsive. Responders were unable to revive him.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/08/31/news/portland/westbrook-man-catches-fire-while-smoking-on-oxygen/ printed on August 2, 2015