Carbon monoxide suspected cause of 2 Maine deaths

Posted Aug. 30, 2011, at 5:32 p.m.

RAYMOND, Maine — Police suspect carbon monoxide poisoning is the cause of two deaths in a southern Maine home where a generator was running after Tropical Storm Irene struck the state.

Cumberland County sheriff’s deputies and rescuers were called to a home in Raymond on Tuesday after receiving a report of an unconscious man and woman. A generator had been running in the basement of the home, which may have been without power as a result of the storm.

Firefighters discovered that the two occupants were dead and suspected carbon monoxide poisoning as the cause. A reading showed very high levels of the deadly gas.

The names of the victims were not immediately released.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business