Big Brothers Big Sisters of Midcoast Maine is seeking high school and college students interested in serving as Big Brothers and Big Sisters at its school-based mentoring sites for the coming school year.
School-based “Bigs” are screened, interviewed and trained local high school and college students who spend one to two hours each week during the school year matched with an elementary or middle school “Little,” serving as a positive role model. Bigs must be responsible, have good listening skills, be willing to learn, love to play, have patience and a sense of humor and able to commit to the Little and the match.
Bigs and Littles are matched according to characteristics, interests and personality traits. Match meetings take place after school, generally 3-4:30 p.m., at the Littles’ school. All match meetings are overseen by adult volunteer school coordinators and professional Big Brothers Big Sisters of Midcoast Maine staff provide an orientation and continuous match support as each relationship develops.
Bigs are needed from the following schools to mentor at the sites listed. If your high school or college is not listed but you are still in school and would like to mentor a child at one of the mentoring sites, call 593-0380.
• Camden Hills Regional High School Bigs to match with Littles from Appleton Village School, Camden-Rockport Elementary School, Hope Elementary School and Lincolnville Central School.
• Medomak Valley High School Bigs to match with Littles from Miller Elementary School in Waldoboro and Warren Community School.
• North Haven Community School high school age Bigs to match with Littles from their school.
• Oceanside High School East Campus Bigs to match with Littles from South School in Rockland.
• Boothbay Region High School Bigs to match with Littles from Boothbay Region Elementary School.
• Lincoln Academy Bigs to match with Littles from Great Salt Bay in Damariscotta and Nobleboro Central School.
• Wiscasset High School Bigs to match with Littles from Wiscasset Primary and Middle School. High school and college mentors sought for 2011-12 school year.
• Belfast High School Bigs to match with Littles from Captain Albert Stevens School in Belfast.
• Mount View High School Bigs to match with Littles from Mount View Elementary School in Thorndike. In-school mentoring also is offered at this site.
• Searsport High School Bigs to match with Littles from Searsport Middle School.
• Unity College Bigs to match with Littles from Troy Elementary School. These match meetings will take place at the Unity Theatre for Performing Arts.
To learn more or to set up an in-person interview, contact Katie Orlando, school-based mentoring director, at 593-0380 or email@example.com. Applications for Bigs are available at http://www.bbbsmcm.org.