December 16, 2017
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Net Neutrality | Robert Burton | Opioid Epidemic

Mechanical failure caused fireball at balloon festival

The Associated Press

LEWISTON, Maine — Officials say a flash fire that injured five people in a hot air balloon at a Maine balloon festival was caused by a faulty valve on a propane tank.

Maine Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland tells WMTW-TV the valve on the propane tank allowed gas to escape during Saturday’s Great Falls Balloon Festival in Lewiston. The gas was ignited by a pilot light.

The balloon’s pilot, Andre Boucher of Derry, N.H., suffered second degree burns. He was released from the hospital Monday.

Four other people suffered lesser injuries.

 


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like