DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — A spark ignited a fire Saturday in a chipper bin at Pleasant River Lumber Co.
Employees at the plant had been welding the chipper bin which is located beneath the machinery in the main mill before the fire started, Dover-Foxcroft Fire Chief Joe Guyotte said Saturday. He said the employees had taken a break from the work when someone hollered “the mill is on fire.”
“Had it not been for the hose line in the mill that was installed and the sprinkler system it would have been a disaster,” Guyotte said. “Sprinkler systems do work.”
He said there was minimal damage and the company would be back in operation tomorrow. The installation of the hose line was Guyotte’s recommendation when the company expanded.
Firefighters were notified of the fire at 11 a.m. after employees called 911. Guilford and Sangerville responded to the alarm and Milo firefighters remained on stand-by at the Dover-Foxcroft station.