Bangor Golf Classic field gets stronger

By Dave Barber, BDN Staff
Posted Aug. 19, 2011, at 11:50 p.m.

BANGOR — Jason Harvey of Bangor will be defending his title in the second Bangor Golf Classic this weekend, and he will have more strong contenders this time around.

Harvey posted a two-day total of 1-under-par 141 at Bangor Municipal Golf Course last year to win by two strokes over Nick Carparelli of Dedham, three strokes over Todd Lee of Bangor and four over Rob Tiensivu of Orrington.

Lee and Tiensivu are both back in the field of 103 golfers, but the addition of Joe Alvarez of Hampden and Len Cole, who turned pro for a while before regaining his amateur status, could make it more competitive.

“It’s nice to see the guys who play in some of the bigger tournaments play here,” said Rob Jarvis, assistant pro at Bangor Muni and the Bangor Golf Classic tournament director.

Alvarez won the Paul Bunyan Amateur Golf Tournament in 2008, and Harvey won it the next year. Cole was a contender in the Bunyan for many years before he embarked on his stint as a pro.

Play opens at 7 a.m. Saturday at Bangor Muni with groups going off every nine minutes until about 11 a.m. Harvey will be in the first group, and Alvarez heads up the next group.

On Sunday, the groups will stay together for the final 18 holes, but the times will be different. Harvey’s foursome is scheduled to tee off last at 11:03 a.m., immediately following the Alvarez foursome.

There are many other potential contenders, too, because of the numer of home club players in the event.

Jarvis is pleased with the higher turnout, which is spread across three men’s divisions based on handicap and a women’s division.

“Last year went really smooth,” he said. “The event has turned into what we wanted it to be.”

The only area where the number of players didn’t increase was the women’s division.

None of the players from southern Maine who participated last year are in this year, despite their enthusiasm for the event and format.

But Jarvis understands why that might have happened.

“I think it was because they just had a big tournament up here,” he said, referring to the Women’s Maine State Golf Association Championship that was held at Penobscot Valley Country Club in Orono less than two weeks ago.

He thinks they could come back another year if the schedule works out.

“I like the direction it’s going,” he said. “We’ll just build on it and build on it.”

Massimo’s Cucina Italiano restaurant is again the primary sponsor.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/08/19/sports/bangor-golf-classic-field-gets-stronger/ printed on September 18, 2014