SENIOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
At Mansfield Stadium, Bangor
Pool A: Maine District 3 (Brewer), Canada (Montreal, Quebec), Europe-Middle East-Africa (Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy), U.S. East (Talbot County, Md.), U.S. Southwest (Tyler, Texas)
Pool B: Asia Pacific (Tanauan City, Philippines), Latin America (San Nicolas, Aruba), U.S. Central (Midland, Mich.), U.S. West (Hilo, Hawaii), U.S. Southeast (Palm Bay, Fla.)
Sunday, Aug. 14
Montreal, Quebec vs. Brewer, noon
Palm Bay, Fla. vs. Hilo, Hawaii, 2:30 p.m.
Tyler, Texas vs. Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy, 5 p.m.
San Nicolas, Aruba vs. Tanauan City, Philippines, 8 p.m.
Monday, Aug. 15
Midland, Mich. vs. Palm Bay, Fla., 10 a.m.
Talbot County, Md., vs. Montreal, Quebec, 1 p.m.
Brewer vs. Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy, 5 p.m.
Hilo, Hawaii vs. San Nicolas, Aruba, 8 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 16
Tyler, Texas vs. Talbot County, Md., 10 a.m.
San Nicolas, Aruba vs. Midland, Mich., 1 p.m.
Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy vs. Montreal, Quebec, 5 p.m.
Tanauan City, Philippines vs. Hilo, Hawaii, 8 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 17
Palm Bay, Fla., vs. San Nicolas, Aruba, 10 a.m.
Midland, Mich. vs. Tanauan City, Philippines, 1 p.m.
U.S. East vs. Brewer, 5 p.m.
Montreal, Quebec vs. Tyler, Texas, 8 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 18
Hilo, Hawaii vs. Midland, Mich., 10 a.m.
Tanauan City, Philippines vs. Palm Bay, Fla., 1 p.m.
Brewer vs. Tyler, Texas, 5 p.m.
Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy vs. Talbot County, Md., 8 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 19
Pool B 2nd Place vs. Pool A 1st Place, 11:30 a.m.
Pool A 2nd Place vs. Pool B First Place, 2:30 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 20
Semifinal winners, 2 p.m. (Broadcast on ESPNU-TV)
Saturday’s starters, 1 p.m.
First, Pace, $2,700
1. Hana Highway, L. MacDonald
2. Travis McGee, K. Hafford III
3. Diamond Lou, D. Smith
4. Last Stretch, T. Wing
5. My Dads The Best, G. Bowden
6. TJ Smoothie, S. Taggart
Second, Pace, $2,500
1. Canaco Oneida, K. Switzer Jr.
2. Totally Obsessed, W. Campbell
3. I Dream of Kara, G. Bowden
4. East Coast Waters, S. Gray
5. Medoland Jackie, R. Cushing
6. Knock Out Pretty, H. Campbell
7. Lavish Jen, R. Dinning
Third, Trot, $3,500
1. Super Cat Begonia, R. Gray
2. All Action Son N, G. Annaloro
3. Muscle Shoals, H. Campbell
4. Tough Broad, Kevin Switzer Jr.
5. Always A Favorite, S. Gray
6. Ginobili, O. Bibeau
7. Midnight Hustler, W. Campbell
Fourth Pace, $2,700
1. Smoknintheboysroom, S. Nason
2. Lick It Tee Quick, T. Hudson
3. Robby’s Cameo, R. Cushing
4. Man To Man, W. Campbell
5. Fillmewalley N, H. Campbell
6. I’m A Lucky Man, S. Gray
Fifth, Trot, $2,700
1. Winner Dot Com, W. Watson
2. Mac Love, G. Bowden
3. She’za Lulu, E. Mathieu
5. Armbro Dune, S. Taggart
6. Desperado Don, L. Gasbarro III
7. Sharif Kosmos, T. Wing
8. Here Comes Susy, E. Gilman
Sixth, Pace, $3,500
1. Longshaw Hanover, P. Sowers
2. Ms Neutralize, M. Cayouette
3. I Scoot Richard, R. Gray
4. Two Punch, B. Condon
5. Fulla Fire, A. Hall
6. Hampgne Charley, D. Henderson Jr.
7. Fireball Fred, B. Merrill
8. Aint No angel, G. Mosher
Seventh, Pace, $3,300
1. KG Duke, R. Armstrong
2. Blissfullsreaction, H. Campbell
3. DW’s Abby, W. Campbell
4. Double Down Yankee, C. Davies
5. Saku, R. Cushing
6. Quickful Bliss, S. Gray
7. Southern Cruiser, K. Switzer Jr.
Eight, Pace, $4,000
1. Maine Reign, L. MacDonald
2. Real Yankee, R. Cushing
3. McJagger, K. Switzer Jr.
4. Bert Magic, G. Bowden
5. Pembroke Joe Dunn, H. Campbell
6. Mystical Truth, W. Campbell
7. Fox Valley Lovebug, S. Gray
Ninth, Pace, $8,000
1. Wannahuckaloogi, G. Bowden
2. Coconut Cove, H. Campbell
3. Sassy Sarah, K. Switzer Jr.
4. Best Bet Yet, S. Gray
5. Thaacaretheeso, C. Nye
Tenth, Pace, $2,700
1. City Tune, R. Cushing
2. Ariel, G. Bowden
3. Life’s Advance, H. Campbell
4. Laken Ledge Angel, L. MacDonald
5. Camtowns Jewel, S. Gray
6. Goldstar Legend, S. Nason
7. Rocking Lilly N, A. Harrington
8. Ball Queen, W. Watson
Sunday’s starters, 1 p.m.
First, Pace, $9,600
1. Pembroke Bishop, H. Campbell
2. Oceanview Janet, K. Switzer
3. Cyclone Rose, K. Switzer Jr.
4. Circle’s Sugar, B. Blanchard
5. Maeve, TBA
6. Legsgo Bugabo, S. Gray
7. Heycanuhearmenow, R. Dinning
Second, Pace, $2,000
1. Equal Space, K. Switzer
2. Jolly Good Fella, S. Gray
3. Back Spin, H. Campbell
4. Crowdgoeswild, TBA
5. Turning Pro, K. Switzer Jr.
6. New York Express, B. Blanchard
7. All Reved Up, S. MacKenzie
8. Big Million, K. Switzer
Third, Pace, $2,000
1. Leroy Jack, M. Graffam
2. Little Sport, M. Cushing
3. Circles Sassylassy, B. Blanchard
4. Kid Kan Do, S. Gray
5. Romantic Life, G. Bowden
6. Ring The Siren, S. MacKenzie
7. Chilled Wine, G. Mosher
8. Bolt Speedman, R. Cushing
Fourth, Pace, $9,600
1. Siberian Rose, R. Cloutier Jr.
2. CBF Fancy, K. Switzer Jr.
3. Pembroke Sarah, H. Campbell
4. Lady Ridgerunner, A. Harrington
5. Maid En Paris, G. Bowden
6. Siberian Swift, W. Campbell
7. Lil Ms Flashdancer, R. Goodblood Jr.
Fifth, Trot, $4,000
1. Act Proud, G. Mosher
2. Malabar’s Dream, R. Cushing
3. Four Starz Trump, C. Cushing
4. Janco, TBA
5. Lady’s Country Boy, W. Watson
6. Bulville Sue, G. Bowden
Sixth, Pace, $2,500
1. Fun Zone, H. Campbell
2. One’s All I Need, G. Mosher
3. Western Topaz, TBA
4. Julias Girl, R. Cushing
5. Perfect Launch, K. Switzer Jr.
6. Starburst Bluechip, K
7. Jungle War, TBA
Seventh, Pace, $3,000
1. Always A Contender, G. Mosher
2. Bad Kat, T. Hudson
3. Holdmetight, S. Gray
4. Haties Jim Bob, W. Campbell
5. Spare Time Carl, TBA
6. Sam’s Gift, H. Campbell
7. Bolero Loupet, K. Switzer
8. Admiral Pembroke, TBA
Eighth, Pace, $9,600
1. Barbra Ann, K. Switzer
2. Cyclone Lily, W. Watson
3. Nelliesirishprayer, S. Gray
4. Dansan Sasha, K. Switzer
5. Magic Card, L. Fitch
6. Race Me Mercedes, W. Childs
7. Pembroke Bow Wow, H. Campbell
Ninth, Pace, $2,500
1. Away With The Wizz, S. Gray
2. RD Shoeless, G. Bowden
3. Bird’s Eye View N, R. Cushing
4. River of Truth, H. Campbell
5. Fairview Princess, R. Cloutier Jr.
6. Woman Manager, TBA
7. Lysistrata, TBA
8. Theta Blue Chip, K. Switzer Jr.
Tenth, Pace, $1,800
1. Calla Lily Gal, B. Blanchard
2. Getmeoutofdebt, R. Cushing
3. Sultan of Suede, S. Gray
4. Gee’s Z Tam, M. Cayouette
5. Walkinshaw, K. Switzer Jr.
6. Sam’s Illusion, S. MacKenzie
7. Armbro Beaming, TBA
8. Cosmattics, TBA
Eleventh, Pace, $3,000
1. Llyr, K. Switzer Jr.
2. Bexley Hanover, H. Campbell
3. Honored Hall, C. Cushing
4. The Dude, G. Bowden
5. Muzzysaprilshowers, R. Lanpher III
6. Slick Ace, S. Gray
7. Quartz Bayama, S. MacKenzie
8. West River Tex, TBA
Twelfth, Pace, $2,000
1. Len Drummond, K. Switzer
2. Legal Trouble N, S. Gray
3. B Street Blues, S. MacKenzie
4. Pembroke Paycheck, D. Dickison
5. Iamasurvivor, B. Blanchard
6. She’s Always Hot, G. Mosher
7. Elm Grove Beech, R. Estes
8. Scoop Over, R. Cushing
At Rockland GC
Garrett Hilchey +8, Scott Arsenault +6, Dana White +5, Sheldon Bryant +4, Linwood Campbell +3, Ken Wilson +2, Jason Witham +2, Corey Fogarty +2, Troy Witham +2, Don Crudell +1, Jeff Curtis +1
At Rocky Knoll CC, Orrington
Friday Couples League
Bob Sullivan, Jill Sullivan, Kathryn Sullivan, Ron Landry 35; Tom Bryant, Barbara Bryant, Quintin Allan, Barbara Baker, Matt Young, Aida Francis 37 (mc); Dave Finley, Vivian Finley, Lisa Richards, Doug Higgins 37; Bob Haeberlein, Ellen Libby, Tammy McLaughlin, Tim McLaughlin 38 (mc); Charlie Lefebvre, Pat Lefebvre, Ed. St. Heart, Sue St. Heart 38 (mc); Dave Raymond, Lisa Raymond, Don Crowell, Wanda Crowell 38; Bill Albrecht, Betty Albrecht, Joe Cardello, Penny Bohac, Cardello 39; Don Wiswell, Felicia Wiswell, Irving Joy, Barbara Joy 40; pins: No. 12, Landry 20-0; No. 17, Francis 28-6
Senior Stableford League
Joe McCluskey, Frank Daigle, Larry Clark, Gary Powers +20; Ralph Morrison, Paul Shumaker, Tom Torrey, Robbie Robinson +18; Doug Higgins, Pete Pelletier, Ed Lachance, Bill Haas +14; pins: No. 5, Roger Tracy 10-0; No. 7, George Small 10-8; No. 12, Tracy 13-10; No. 17, Haas 0-3; high Stableford: Torrey +14; Powers +13; Haas +13; gross: Powers 71; skins: A flight, No. 2, Charlie Lefebvre; No. 3, Paul Munro; No. 17 and No. 18; Powers; B flight: No. 15, Joe Rodrigue
Adam Fournier, Bill Taylor, Pete Fournier 32, Doug Higgins, Randy Chute, Larry Clark 33 (mc), Jeremy Dubay, Quintin Allan, Dave Libby 33, Bob Bissell, Barbara Baker, Mark Lawrence 34, Barbara Bryant, Mike Allan, John Sullivan 35 (mc), Jerry Goss, Paul Bowden, Pam Foss 35, Bill Ferris, Tina Clark, Steve Goodin 36 (mc), Mel Bowden, Jim Oreskovich, Dave Raymond 36; pins: No. 12, Larry Clark 1-9
At Pine Hill GC, Brewer
Pine Hill/Dirigo Pines
Peter Beatham, Ralph Holyoke, Pam Foss, Bunny Russell 63 (by draw); Steve Smith, Bruce Blanchard, Andy Anderson, Grady Stevenson 63; (tie) Bob Sekera, Dick Reed, Bob King, Fred Anderson and Mike LaChance, Jim Jones, Pat Davis, Phil Newbury 65; pins: No. 5 Holyoke 20-2, No. 9 Sekera 14-10, No. 14 Blanchard 11-1
Kebo Valley GC, Bar Harbor
Two-Man Blind Draw,
Variable Best Ball
Andy Starr, Dough Lackey 63, Mike Smith, Glenn Megquier 62, Troy Chabot, Pudge Delaittre 61
At Streamside GC, Winterport
Friday Night Scramble
Kenny Brassbridge, Tracy Gran Jr., Mike Adams, Natasha Adams 32; pins: No. 4, Brassbridge 2-11; No. 8, Mike Adams 16-10½
At New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon, N.H.
Lineup for Saturday’s 25-lap race
1. Eddie MacDonald (Rowley, Mass.), 2. Joey Laquerre (East Montpellier, Vt.), 3. Wayne Helliwell Jr. (Dover, N.H.), 4. Austin Theriault (Fort Kent), 5. Donald Theetge (Boischatel, Que.), 6. Brian Hoar (Williston, Vt.), 7. Alex Labbe (St-Albert, Que.), 8. Tom Carey Jr (New Salem, Mass.), 9. Mark Lamberton (Mooer’s Forks, N.Y.), 10. Donnie Lashua (Canaan, N.H.), 11. Jean-Francois Dery (Quebec, Que.), 12. Mike Bruno (Castleton, Vt.), 13. Brad Babb (Windham), 14. Ricky Rolfe (Albany Township), 15. Joey Polewarczyk Jr. (Hudson, N.H.), 16. David Michaud (Ste-Annes, Que.), 17. Aaron Fellows (Croydon, N.H.), 18. Karl Allard (St-Felicien, Que.), 19. Jeffrey Labrecque (Rochester, N.H.), 20. Randy Potter (Groveton, N.H.), 21. Ben Ashline (Pittston), 22. Shawn Martin (Turner), 23. Jacob McGrath (North Claredon, Vt.), 24. Brad Leighton (Center Harbor, N.H.), 25. Scott Payea (Milton, Vt.), 26. Dany Trepanier (St-Edouard, Que.), 27. Ray Parent (Tiverton, R.I.), 28. Jamie Aube (N. Ferrisburgh, Vt.), 29. Patrick Laperle (St-Denis, Que.), 30. Mike Stefanik (Coventry, R.I.), 31. Nick Sweet (Barre, Vt.), 32. Pete Yetman (Peru, Mass.), 33. Jamie Fisher (Shelburne, Vt.), 34. Justin Holtom (Dunrobin, Ont.), 35. John Donahue (Graniteville, Vt.), 36. Mike Kenison (Lancaster, N.H.), 37. Scott Luce (Strong), 38. Glen Luce (Turner), 39. Dave Farrington Jr. (Jay), 40. Dennis Spencer Jr. (Oxford), 41. Patrick Hamel (St-Croix, Que.), 42. Marc-Andre Cliche (Vallee-Jct., Que.), 43. Brent Dragon (Milton, Vt.), 44. Rowland Robinson Jr. (Birch Harbor)
TRACK & FIELD
U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association
Bates: Elizabeth Arens, Elizabeth Carleton, Jenny Fucillo, Sara Ellen Godek, Dana Lindauer; Southern Maine: Molly Carl, Hannah Patterson, Evan Davis
Athletic participation and physical forms can be downloaded at www.bangorschools.net and need to be turned in on first day of tryouts. Student-athletes new to Bangor HS must complete a physical form, and all student-athletes must complete a parent consent form. Tryouts for varsity golf: Aug. 15-16, 8 a.m., at Bangor Municipal Golf Course. The tryout will consist of two nine-hole rounds of medal play on Kelly Nine. Call Rob Jarvis at 941-0232 with any questions; practice for boys and girls cross country begins Aug. 15, 2:30-4:30 p.m. by the Bangor High School tennis courts; football/cheering tryouts: Aug. 15-17, 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m., at Bangor High School; boys soccer: parent meeting Aug. 14 at 6:30 p.m., in Room D4B of the high school (near Peakes Auditorium entrance). Tryouts at the varsity field Aug. 15-18, 7-9 a.m.; girls soccer: tryouts Aug. 15-17 from 8-10 a.m. and 5-7 p.m. at Union Street Athletic Complex; grade 8 football: Open to boys entering eighth grade at Cohen and Doughty schools; practice begins Aug. 15, 8:45 a.m., at Doughty School. Players must have all documents, a physical and proof of insurance on record at their school. Call coach Capehart at 990-1378 or school office at Cohen 941-6230 or Doughty 941-6220.
Mandatory meeting for all fall athletes and their parents is Aug. 18, 7 p.m., in high school gym. Tryouts for fall sports will begin Aug. 15. All athletes are required to have a physical exam, and permission forms and emergency cards must be signed and returned prior to first practice session. The following times are only for the first day of tryouts. Cheering: 10 a.m.-noon and 12:30-2:30 p.m. at old Brewer Middle School gym; cross country: 4:30-6:30 p.m. in front of high school; field hockey: 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Heddericg Field; football: 8-10:15 a.m. and 3:30-5:45 p.m. at high school practice field; golf: 9 a.m.-noon at Traditions Golf Course (bring own equipment); boys soccer: 8-11 a.m. at Maple Street Field; girls soccer: 7:30-10:30 a.m. at Capri Street Field
Mandatory parent information night Aug. 16 at 6 p.m. at high school. All tryouts are on Aug. 15: Boys soccer: 5:30-8 p.m.; girls soccer: 6-8 p.m.; field hockey: 5-7 p.m.; cross country: 8-10 a.m.; golf: 2:30-5 p.m. at WhiteTail Golf Course in Charleston. For more info, email Matt Arsenault at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall sports begin Aug. 15 and all freshmen, juniors and new students must provide proof of physical. Participants must have completed contract and emergency card, which can be picked up in the main office 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays. Practice times are as follows: football: 9-11 a.m., 5-7 p.m., equipment issue Aug. 14, 5 p.m.; cheering: 4-5:30 p.m.; boys soccer 8-11 a.m., cross country: 9-11 a.m.; golf: 3-5 p.m.; field hockey: 8-10:30 a.m.; girls soccer: 8-11 a.m.
Tryouts for all fall sports begin Aug. 15. Participants should have all forms completed and turned in the first day of tryouts. All forms and handbooks can be picked up in the main office or on the school web site at www.sad22.us/ha. Tryouts are as follows: field hockey: 7 a.m. at turf field; football: 8 a.m. at lower field; girls soccer: 9 a.m. at turf field; boys soccer: 8 a.m. at Reeds Brook Field; golf: 2:30 p.m. at Hampden Country Club; cheering: 10 a.m. at new gym; cross country: begins Aug. 17, meeting in new gym at 8 a.m. Contact the Hampden Academy athletic office at 862-3985 with any questions.
Tryouts for all fall sports will begin Aug. 15. Participants must complete a consent form, health history form, and a sports physical. Forms may be downloaded at www.hermon.net or picked up at the high school weekdays 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Tryout times are: cross country 8:30-10 a.m., golf 2-4 p.m. at Hermon Meadow, field hockey 7-9:30 a.m., football 8-10 a.m. and 5-7 p.m., boys soccer 7-9 a.m. and 5-7 p.m., girls soccer mandatory meeting Aug. 14 at 6 p.m. with practices 7-9 a.m. and 3-5 p.m., contact Paul Soucy at 848-4062.
All teams will be holding tryouts and/or practices on Aug. 15. Students must bring a signed athletic code contract, proof of insurance, emergency card and proof of physical. Forms may be picked up in the main office during the summer Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-4 p.m. For more information contact Director of Athletics Bill MacManus at 453-4200 ext. 2250.
MAINE CENTRAL INSTITUTE
Preseason practices begin Aug. 15, and all forms necessary to participate need to be completed by that date in order to try out for a team. Freshmen and juniors are required to have a physical before the preseason date. Forms are available in the MCI athletic office, business office or online at www.mci-school.org.
MOUNT DESERT ISLAND
Mandatory fall athletic informational meeting Aug. 14 in the Bernard Parady Gymnasium beginning at 6 p.m. At least one member of the family must attend the meeting. Parents and athletes will be able to meet with the coaches and learn team rules and expectations. Insurance forms, sports permission forms and extracurricular policy will be handed out at the meeting. Freshmen, juniors and all new students must have a physical before being allowed to participate in practices, which start on Aug. 15. For a free physical, call 288-5011 ext. 300 for more information. Call Bunky Dow at 288-5011 ext. 327 with any questions.
Any Nokomis High School student interested in playing a fall sport must attend tryouts and have proof of physical to participate. All tryouts will be held on Aug. 15. Tryout times are: boys soccer 7-8:30 a.m. and 3-5 p.m., field hockey 9-11 a.m. and 6-8 p.m., girls soccer 8:30-10 a.m. and 5-7 p.m., golf 4-7 p.m. at Palmyra Golf Course, and football 8:30-10:30 a.m. and 6-8 p.m. For more information call Nokomis at 368-4354.
Tryouts for fall sports begin Aug. 15. Athletes must have a physical form, emergency form and parents’ consent before trying out. Forms may be picked up at the OTHS main office, Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-2 p.m.
Information night for athletes participating in a fall sport and their parents is Aug. 14 at 6 p.m. in the Orono High School gym. Breakout sessions for individual sports will follow the general session. Co-curricular contract, green physical form and white medical card must be completed before practices begin Aug. 15. Call Mike Archer at 866-4916 with any questions.
Tryouts for fall sports begin Aug. 15. Athletes must have an updated physical and proof of insurance before tryouts. Forms will be passed out during the meeting.
Tryouts for all fall sports will begin Aug. 15. Tryout times are: golf from 9-11 a.m. at Katahdin Country Club, girls soccer from 6-7:30 a.m., and boys soccer from 8-9:30 a.m. All incoming freshmen must provide proof of a recent physical. Any questions contact Tom Hamlin at 279-0360.
Tryouts for Presque Isle High School fall sports, fall cheering: Aug. 15-16, 6-8 p.m. in PIHS upper gym; golf: Aug. 15-16, 3-5 p.m. at Presque Isle Country Club
Tryouts for Presque Isle Middle School at Johnson Athletic Complex, cross country: Aug. 22-24, 3-5 p.m.
Mandatory fall sports night Aug. 15, 5 p.m., at Schenck High gym in East Millinocket, please use back entrance door, all players are required to have a physical and sports policy contract before participating in first practice, contact athletic director John Montgomery for more information, 746-3511
Practice for boys and girls soccer will begin Aug. 22 at 5 p.m. All players must have proof of physical and all necessary paperwork. Any questions contact Phil Faulkner at 463-2518.
Signups for kids interested in playing Brewer Youth Football this fall will be held Aug. 15 and 17 at the Brewer Auditorium. Children in grades 3-6 are eligible. Forward questions to email@example.com