Fire started by cigarette destroys Waterville home

Posted Aug. 10, 2011, at 5:32 p.m.
Last modified Aug. 10, 2011, at 7:48 p.m.

WATERVILLE, Maine — A family of four was left homeless after a fire that investigators say was started by a cigarette destroyed their house Tuesday.

It took only minutes for the 10-room home to be engulfed in the flames. Nearly 30 firefighters from Waterville, Fairfield and Winslow battled the blaze.

Tracey Bragdon, 44, told the Morning Sentinel she had just left her house with her three children minutes before and was walking down a nearby street when a neighbor flagged her down.

Chaos, a brown Australian shepherd-bull terrier mix, was rescued from the flaming home by Donald Zaltzberg, who was painting a nearby house. No one else was inside.

Two firefighters suffered from dehydration, and one was taken to Maine General Medical Center’s Thayer Campus.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Mid-Maine