BANGOR, Maine — Forest Avenue Congregational Church will hold an indoor yard sale and early Christmas sale from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 3, at the church, 300 Forest Ave. Yard sale items are welcome.
For information, call 942-4705. Proceeds benefit the church roof repair fund.
UMaine garden celebration at Rogers Farm
STILLWATER, Maine — The University of Maine Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners Volunteers Demonstration Garden at Rogers Farm will hold a free “Art in the Garden Celebration” at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 16, at Rogers Farm, 914 Bennoch Road in Stillwater.
The event will feature poetry, a children’s story read-aloud, sculpture, pottery and hand-dyed fiber arts exhibits, food and more. A pair of dancers will waltz around the garden to live music. Handcrafted items will be available for purchase to benefit the garden and a local food cupboard. For more information, call 942-7396 or visit www.extension.umaine.edu.
Hampden Garden Club to hold farmers market
HAMPDEN, Maine — The Hampden Garden Club will hold the second of four farmers markets from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, at Harmony Hall, 24 Kennebec Road.
The market will provide an opportunity to buy fresh, locally grown produce as well as organic poultry, eggs, herbs, plants and baked goods. Patrons may place orders for organic blueberries. Subsequent scheduled dates are Aug. 27 and Sept. 17. For more information, call 862-3909.
Second Fall Frolic in Holden
HOLDEN, Maine — The town of Holden will be host to the second annual Fall Frolic from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 24, at the Holden Elementary School and town office grounds on Route 1A. The Frolic is seeking crafters, vendors and those who want yard sale spaces. Tables are available for crafters only; vendor and yard sale spaces are 20 square feet and are available for $15 each.
All vendors and crafters will be located outside. Proceeds benefit the restoration of the Old Grange Hall on Route 1A in Holden. For more information call the Holden town office at 843-5151.
Bangor Chorus to launch 42nd season
BANGOR, Maine — Members of the Bangor Community Chorus, along with conductor Joshua Schmersal and accompanist Colin Graebert invite music lovers of all ages and voice ranges to come and sing with them when the historic chorus launches its 42nd season. Rehearsals are scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 6, at First United Methodist Church, 703 Essex St. in Bangor. For more information, call 945-6752.
Fun Days to sizzle in Hermon
HERMON, Maine — The Summer Sizzler Fun Days will be held Friday and Saturday, Aug. 12-13, on Billings Road, sponsored by the Hermon Recreation Department. Activities will range from a parade and sports to children’s games, a street dance with Motor Booty Affair and fireworks.
Friday, Aug. 12
• 5 p.m., adult coed softball tournament, recreation fields 2 and 3 in back of Hermon Elementary School, Billings Road.
• 6:30 p.m., Little Miss Hermon Pageant, Hermon High School auditorium, Route 2. Admission $3.
Saturday, Aug. 13
• 7-9 a.m., early bird breakfast, Lynde Masonic Lodge, Hermon Corner.
• 8 a.m.-2 p.m., benefit yard sale, Hermon Elementary School.
• 8 a.m., adult coed softball tournament, recreation fields 2 and 3 in back of Hermon Elementary School, Billings Road.
• 3-on-3 basketball tournament, outdoor courts, Hermon Elementary School. Students from Carmel, Levant and Hermon. Middle school girls and boys, register 8 a.m.; high school girls and boys, register 2 p.m.
• 10 a.m.-4 p.m., craft and business fair, Hermon Elementary School
• 11 a.m., Summer Sizzler Parade, from Hermon High School on Route 2 to Hermon Elementary School on Billings Road.
• Noon-2 p.m., classic cars in front of Hermon Elementary School.
• Noon-4 p.m., Carnival Land and games area with climbing wall, mechanical bull, water slide, rock climb slide, bounce houses, obstacle course and carnival games. $5 for wristband.
• 12:30 p.m., Morita’s School of Dance, under big tent on Stage 2.
• Lunchtime, food vendors.
• 12:30-2:30 p.m., hand-walked pony rides by Stepping Stone Farm. $1.
• 1-4 p.m., climbing wall with “extreme air jumper,” by Maine Rock Gym. Five climbers and two jumpers at a time. $3 per climb-jump.
• 1 p.m., Blue Northern Band, Stage 1.
• 1 p.m., RC Flying Club, demonstration of radio control airplanes.
• 2 p.m., hula hoop competition. Register early at info table.
• 2 p.m., karaoke under the big tent on Stage 2.
• 2 p.m., Blue Northern Band, Stage 1.
• 3 p.m., Levi Rounders Square Dance Club, under the big tent on Stage 2.
• 4 p.m., Hermon Pans steel drum show, Stage 2.
• 8-10 p.m., street dance with Motor Booty Affair. Gates open 6 p.m. $3, free to seniors and age 12 and under. Includes fireworks show at dusk by Central Maine Pyrotechnics over the recreation fields at Hermon Elementary School.
For information, visit http://www.hermon.net.
Registration begins for Beth Israel classes
BANGOR, Maine — Congregation Beth Israel Synagogue is accepting registration for classes at Hebrew School at their Bangor and their new Ellsworth location.
Bangor students in grades two through seven will meet 4-6 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday (minyan included). Kindergarten and first-grade students will meet from 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. There will be Shabbat Alive! for all students in grades two through seven at that time.
Ellsworth students (all grades) will meet 4-6 p.m. each Wednesday and will attend mandatory Shabbat Alive! classes in Bangor from 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays.
For more information, call 945-3433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.