ORONO — Two teenagers from Bangor have been identified as suspects in last week’s break-in and vandalism at the Orono Bog Boardwalk.
Charged with criminal mischief were Tyler Thomas, 18, and a 16-year-old boy whose name was not released, Orono police Capt. Josh Ewing said Wednesday.
Thomas also was arrested for violating his probation, Ewing said. Thomas was taken to the Penobscot County Jail, where he remained late Wednesday afternoon.
Tyler and the unidentified minor were among four teens caught by a video surveillance camera breaking into the Orono Bog Boardwalk on July 24. Three benches were vandalized during the episode, Ewing said earlier this week.
In an effort to identify the suspects, Orono police released surveillance video footage on YouTube and spread the word to area news outlets. The video showed two females and two males who appeared to be in their teens or early 20s.
On Wednesday, Ewing said the strategy paid off.
The suspected vandals are seen climbing over the locked gate at 7:07 p.m. July 24 and leaving the area at 7:28 p.m., Ewing said. One of the boys was carrying a skateboard.
The bog walk allows visitors to walk or use wheelchairs to make their way through a northern peat bog. Located in the Bangor City Forest and on adjacent University of Maine property, it has more than 30,000 visitors annually.
A group of vandals raised havoc at the Orono Bog Boardwalk last September, causing so much damage that the mile-long boardwalk was forced to close. They were never caught. Surveillance cameras since have been installed.
BDN reporter Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.