Plug pulled on Wiscasset bypass project

The Associated Press
Posted Aug. 02, 2011, at 11:31 a.m.

WISCASSET, Maine — Maine’s transportation commissioner is pulling the plug on plans to build a bypass road around the town of Wiscasset.

David Bernhardt said he is terminating a study looking at possible bypass routes that would provide relief from traffic congestion on U.S. Route 1 that often clogs downtown Wiscasset during the summer tourist season.

Bernhardt said he made his decision after evaluating the limited benefits and high cost of the project, estimated at $100 million.

He said his decision had nothing to do with last year’s discovery of an eagle’s nest that halted plans for a route approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

The bypass has been studied and debated for more than 50 years.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/08/02/news/midcoast/plug-pulled-on-wiscasset-bypass-project/ printed on July 28, 2014