Hermon business fire accidental, investigators say

Posted Aug. 01, 2011, at 12:59 p.m.

HERMON, Maine — The tractor of a big rig brought to a garage for work on Friday somehow caught fire Saturday evening and extensively damaged the building, Lt. Chandler Corriveau of the Hermon Fire Department said Monday. The State Fire Marshal’s Office ruled the fire accidental.

Someone driving by H.C. Haynes Inc. truck garage at about 5:40 p.m. Saturday noticed smoke exiting the building on Concord Drive in the Freedom Industrial Park.

“Upon our arrival, there was heavy black smoke,” Corriveau said. “An engine company made entry and they found a tractor-trailer on fire — the tractor part of it. We were able to knock it down very quickly.”

By the time the fire was extinguished, the flames had significantly damaged the approximately 40-by-60-foot structure.

“There was quite a bit of fire extension into the building,” Corriveau said. “There was a safety concern and we ended up pulling everyone out.”

The building had significant damage and the truck tractor was a total loss, he said.

Nobody was at the truck repair garage when the fire broke out.

Local Hermon firefighters were assisted by crews from Bangor, Levant and Glenburn, and one visiting firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion, the lieutenant said.

The last firefighter left the scene at 12:16 a.m. Sunday.

Company officials at Haynes told Corriveau that they have insurance and plan to open a temporary location soon.

Fire investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s Office went through the debris on Monday, Sgt. Tim York said, and deemed the fire accidental.

“It appears to be an electrical malfunction inside the truck,” he said.

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business