Two Bangor residents indicted on murder charges

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted July 27, 2011, at 4:59 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — Two Bangor residents were indicted on murder charges Wednesday in connection with separate homicides that occurred in June.

The Penobscot County grand jury indicted William L. Hall, 29, on a charge of intentional or knowing murder or depraved indifference murder in the June 9 death of Melvin F. Abreu, 28.

According to police reports and court documents connected with the case, Hall killed Abreu after an altercation in Hall’s apartment at 94-96 Fourth St.

Bangor police said dispatchers received a hang-up 911 call at 5:09 a.m. reporting someone had been injured. When emergency personnel arrived, they found Abreu dead in the driveway. Hall later told told police that he strangled Abreu and threw him out of his second-story window at 96 Fourth St., according to court documents.

Hall, who initially was taken to Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center, was arrested and charged in the death on June 15 and then returned to the facility.

Hall also was indicted on a charge of escape for leaving the Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center without permission on June 28, prompting an intense manhunt that involved personnel from the Maine State Police, the Bangor Police Department and the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department.

Hall was captured in Brewer the next morning. He reportedly swam across the Penobscot River and was spotted by a fisherman and others.

The grand jury also indicted Roxanne M. Jeskey, 48, on a charge of intentional or knowing murder or depraved indifference murder in the death of her husband, Richard Jeskey, 53.

On June 13, Richard Jeskey’s body was found naked and bloody in the bathtub of the couple’s home on Ohio Street.

According to police, Richard Jeskey was beaten and strangled by his wife in a fit of jealousy. When they went to the couple’s home on June 13, Richard Jeskey’s body showed signs of trauma to his groin, upper torso, face and head, according to a police affidavit filed Thursday at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

The results of an autopsy conducted June 14 at the state medical examiner’s office in Augusta showed that he suffered extensive, multiple blunt and sharp force injuries to the head, neck, torso and limbs. Injuries included nose fractures, loss of an eye, rib fractures, rectal incised wounds and internal hemmorhage from an instrument pushed through his scrotum into his abdomen, Bangor police Detective David Bushey wrote in the affidavit. Bushey said Jeskey was strangled with sufficient force to break the hyoid bone of his neck.

Jeskey admitted that she and her husband had a fight the night of June 12 into the early morning hours of June 13 because of a phone call between her husband and his ex-girlfriend, according to court documents. She admitted that she assaulted her husband “with various weapons including pliers, a box cutter and a plastic baseball bat.”

Jeskey, who is being represented by her court-appointed attorneys, Joseph Baldacci and David Bates, said she was acting in self-defense during her initial court appearance last month. She said she had been brutally assaulted by her husband the night he died.

Baldacci said when he first met his client, she was “covered in bruises from head to toe.”

“It is my understanding she was at St. Joseph Hospital or Eastern Maine Medical Center for the 10 days prior to her arrest,” he said in a telephone interview shortly after the court appearance.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/07/27/news/court/two-bangor-residents-indicted-on-murder-charges/ printed on October 31, 2014