Red Sox put Drew on DL; Youkilis sits out game

Posted July 26, 2011, at 8:29 p.m.
Last modified July 26, 2011, at 10:53 p.m.

BOSTON — The Boston Red Sox placed struggling right fielder J.D. Drew on the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday with a sore right shoulder and recalled infielder Drew Sutton from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Drew is batting just .219 with four homers and 21 RBIs in the final year of a five-year, $70 million contract and had lost his starting job to rookie Josh Reddick. The move was retroactive to July 20.

Sutton was called up for the third time this year. He was 5 for 16 on his most-recent stay.

Also Tuesday, infielder Kevin Youkilis was not in the starting lineup a day after straining his right hamstring trying to beat out an infield single.

“He’s a little sore. But he came through the exam last night pretty good, which is really good,” manager Terry Francona said before Boston’s game against the Kansas City Royals. “When he hit the bag, it looked bad and he kind of came off limping and we got him out of there for precautionary reasons, and I’m glad we did.”

Youkilis is hitting .279, with 14 homers and 72 RBIs and had appeared in 93 of the team’s first 100 games.

Drew was just 6 for 47 with no homers and three RBIs this month, with his last homer on June 8.

Francona said Drew’s shoulder had been bothering him for two weeks.

Indians GM eager to deal

CLEVELAND — After two years of 90-plus losses, Cleveland Indians general manager Chris Antonetti is willing to do what he can to keep his surprising team in pennant contention.

For the right return, he’s willing to deal any player in the Indians organization to help Cleveland win now.

“It would have to be a compelling deal to trade one of our very select prospects,” Antonetti said Tuesday. “Our philosophy is to take advantage of every opportunity we have to get to the postseason and advance. But you have to be mindful of the cost of doing that.”

One game behind first-place Detroit in the AL Central entering Tuesday night’s game against the Los Angeles Angels, Antonetti coyly said he has held discussions with multiple teams and has more than a few offers on the table.

“From 1 to 1,000,” he said.

Now, he needs to narrow it to a team willing to make what both deem an equitable trade by Sunday’s 4 p.m. non-waiver deadline. It won’t be for a lack of effort on Cleveland’s part.

“I’m confident we’ll do everything we can to make a deal,” said Antonetti, who would like to beef up an injury-depleted offense or even supplement a strong pitching staff.

“Whether that results in making a trade is difficult to say. It takes two parties. Despite our best efforts at this point, we haven’t been able to do anything.”

Antonetti is already disappointed he couldn’t get replacements to keep Cleveland from falling out of first place after holding a seven-game lead on May 22.

“Our preference would have been to do something a few weeks ago,” he said. “We can’t dictate the timetable. Hopefully, over the next day or two some dominoes start to fall and that opens up the market.”

Antonetti believes that with so many teams still in contention, clubs with players that are coveted are naturally holding out for the best deal they can find. He knows the drill. Since winning the AL Central in 2007, the Indians have been midseason sellers, unloading high-priced veterans for prospects.

“I’d rather be on this side, bringing in players to win,” he said. “But that’s why we made those trades. Some of those players have helped us to get to this point.”

In 2008, the Indians dealt Cy Young winner CC Sabathia to Milwaukee for four players. The next year, Cliff Lee took his Cy Young trophy to Philadelphia in a six-player blockbuster and All-Star catcher Victor Martinez was sent to Boston for three pitchers. Last year, veterans Jake Westbrook, Austin Kearns and Kerry Wood were among those dealt away.

Antonetti, who succeeded Indians president Mark Shapiro as GM this year, won’t rule out adding to one of the game’s lowest payrolls.

“We’re willing to take on salaries,” he said. “We are prepared to do what we can, to do what’s reasonable. We can’t be limited in our focus to the next 2½ months. If you make a foolish decision now, it could be one you regret for multiple years.”

Antonetti is hopeful that injured outfielders Grady Sizemore and Shin-Soo Choo will return to add some punch to the lineup down the stretch. Manager Manny Acta’s plucky group, which won 11 home games in its last at-bat, could use a hitter much sooner.

“It’s hard to say anything is imminent,” Antonetti said. “The intensity of the conversation has picked up. The level of specificity has also picked up over the last two days. It’s gone from a wide general net to focusing on trying to get something done.”

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports