June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Albion man who threatened younger brother arrested

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

LEVANT, Maine — Penobscot County deputies and Maine State Police captured an Albion man Tuesday morning who told Winslow police the night before that he was armed with a rifle and planned to shoot his brother, police officials said.

An all-points bulletin was issued at about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday by Winslow police that said Paul Flynn, 50, “was armed and dangerous, suicidal and homicidal,” and was in the Bangor area driving a red Subaru Impreza, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said.

Police from all over the region and a game warden assisted in the search for Flynn, who was stopped about 35 minutes later, said Penobscot County Sheriff’s Deputy Garrett McGee.

“He was not armed,” said the deputy, who along with Maine State Police Trooper Darren Vittum stopped Flynn on Pine Tree Road in Levant just after 10 a.m.

Flynn’s troubles began on Monday when he sent a text to his older brother “saying he was going to kill [their younger] brother,” Winslow police Officer Josh Veilleux said Tuesday morning. “The [threatened] brother works here in Winslow, so we responded to the business and got the brother out of there.”

Police then went to the younger brother’s home in Benton, where his wife and children were located.

“As we got there, we got the message that he was at the house in the woods” with a rifle, Veilleux said. “He said he could see us through a scope.

“I started texting him from the scene and he actually called me at one point and said he was looking at me through his scope. I decided to call his bluff and said ‘If you can see me, what color is the police car beside me.’ He started laughing. He was intoxicated.”

That is when “We asked him how we could help him and he basically hung up on me,” the Winslow officer said.

At that point, Winslow police were pretty sure that Flynn was not in the area and ended the Clinton Avenue standoff in Benton.

A search of his cellphone use indicated he was in Bangor on Tuesday morning. Shortly after Winslow’s alert, Bangor police notified the Winslow officers that “he was at a store trying to purchase some alcohol” in Levant, and was stopped shortly afterward, Veilleux said.

“Our concern was for his safety and the safety of others,” he said. “We’re just happy Penobscot County Sheriff’s [Department] and state police helped to solve this peacefully. That has been our biggest worry.”

Winslow police were worried that Flynn, who was “just having some personal issues,” would hurt someone “or do a suicide by cop,” Veilleux said.

Flynn was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants and was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center and bailed out from there, a Penobscot County Jail official said.

Veilleux said he faces no charges from the Winslow incident.

“The brother here decided not to pursue charges,” Veilleux said. “[Paul Flynn] is a real nice guy; everyone has told me that. He’s suffering from depression and some alcohol problems. We’re just happy he’s going to get some help.”

When he was pulled over in Levant, Flynn was “no problem at all,” McGee said. “He seemed thankful to be arrested.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like