April 24, 2018
Augusta Latest News | Poll Questions | George H.W. Bush | Litchfield Homicide | Schoolhouse Fire

Autopsies pending on two bodies found over weekend

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

AUGUSTA, Maine — The official causes of death of two men whose bodies were found in separate waterways over the weekend are still pending, a spokeswoman for the state medical examiner’s office said Tuesday.

Both are “still listed as a John Doe,” she said. “We don’t have a positive identification yet. We haven’t got the DNA. We can’t confirm anything until we get the DNA back.”

Old Town resident Jeremy Dimmock, 24, who leaves behind a young daughter, went out for a smoke at about noon on July 18 and never came back. His body was discovered Sunday morning in a dam near Old Town Fuel and Fiber and was positively identified at the scene by his family, Sgt. Travis Roy said Tuesday.

The medical examiner is just doing a thorough job, Roy said.

Two female kayakers on Moosehead Lake found the body of a man face down and partially floating along the shore Saturday morning, and game wardens believe the body is that of Rockwood resident James Russell, 51, who went missing in November.

“The body was tentatively identified as Mr. Russell because of the clothing and where he was located,” Edie Smith, director of information for the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, said Sunday.

The man’s body was clothed in a brown hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, hat and brown hiking boots, which “matches the description of what Mr. Russell was wearing at the time of his disappearance,” Smith said Sunday.

Russell was last seen on Nov. 14 on Sand Bar Way in Rockwood just before a planned paddle across the lake to Mount Kineo. Russell’s green kayak, a paddle and his backpack were found last year floating in the water off Murray Road about two miles from Kineo.

The body was found between Sand Bar Island and the mainland, Smith said.

“The official identification will be made by the medical examiner’s office,” she said.

One of the two autopsies was essentially completed and the second one was scheduled to be done by the end of Tuesday, the medical examiner’s spokeswoman said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like