WESTBROOK, Maine — Authorities in Westbrook, Maine, say three buildings were evacuated but nobody hurt when about 50 gallons of toxic pool chemicals spilled at a pool supply business.
The spill in a storeroom at Namco was discovered about 9:40 a.m. Sunday after workers found a stack of five-gallon containers of sodium hypochlorite — a pool chemical — had been knocked over, causing many to leak.
Dozens of firefighters responded, and a handful of employees in the business evacuated. So did workers in a Sherwin Williams paint store and an Advance Auto Parts. The Portland Press Herald reports that it took about six hours to clean up the spill.