October 21, 2017
Piscataquis Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Bangor City Council | Orion Krause

Smoking material cause of Dover-Foxcroft mobile home fire

By Diana Bowley, BDN Staff
Updated:

DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — A fire that heavily damaged a mobile home at Goodwin’s Trailer Park on Saturday was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to a state fire official.

David Bushnell and his wife, Branigan Collins, had just settled into bed at about 11 p.m. Saturday when a fire erupted near the front entrance to the mobile home they rented on Morton Avenue.

Dill Guy, a neighbor, noticed the fire and pounded on the mobile home and to alert the couple. The couple grabbed their two children, Natalie, 5, and Lydia, 2, and escaped the building. No one was injured.

Scott Richardson of the State Fire Marshal’s Office inspected the fire scene on Monday and ruled the fire was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to Dover-Foxcroft Fire Chief Joseph Guyotte. The couple had a bucket near the front door where they tossed their cigarette butts and that ignited, he said Monday. The fire then spread to some tires that had been stored under the stairs, he said.

“They were lucky to get out,” Guyotte said.

The couple had no insurance on their belongings, which were destroyed. The Red Cross is assisting the family with its immediate needs, according to Guyotte.

The mobile home, owned by Richard Goodwin, was insured, Guyotte said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like