Boy, 11, sent to Portland hospital after fireworks accident hurts eye

By Darcie Moore, Times Record
Posted July 05, 2011, at 10:02 a.m.

GEORGETOWN, Maine — An 11-year-old New Hampshire boy was taken to a Portland hospital after an illegal fireworks display injured his eye, according to police.

The family of the victim, of Amherst, N.H., allegedly had purchased fireworks in their home state before coming to Maine.

“The father was lighting off the fireworks on a back porch when one seemingly misfired and exploded, sending pieces of the device at the 11-year-old and causing injury to his eye,” according to a release from the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Department.

The boy was treated at the scene, then taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland for treatment.

Sgt. Joel Davis of the State Fire Marshal’s Office said Tuesday morning that investigators went to the hospital Monday night to interview the family. He said the father suffered minor injuries as a result of the fireworks incident, but was not treated.

Davis said investigators will determine if the fireworks involved were actually purchased in New Hampshire. Even if they were purchased as a legal item there, they were still illegal in the state of Maine, he said.

“We do anticipate some charges,” Davis said. As of Tuesday morning, however, no charges had been issued and the names of the family and victim were not being released.

Davis said the investigators believe that the injury resulted from a mortar type of fireworks that misfired rather than shooting an aerial shell into the air.

To read more of the Times Record, visit timesrecord.com.

 

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/07/05/news/portland/boy-11-sent-to-portland-hospital-after-fireworks-accident-hurts-eye/ printed on August 27, 2014