The Maine Pro Musica Orchestra, in a partnership with the Strand Theatre in Rockland, the Lincoln Theater in Damariscotta, and the Grand Theatre in Ellsworth, will visit each theater over three nights Tuesday through Thursday, July 19-21. The concerts begin at 7:30 p.m. The schedule is:
• Tuesday, July 19, The Strand, Rockland.
• Wednesday, July 20, Lincoln Theatre, Damariscotta.
• Thursday, July 21, The Grand, Ellsworth.
The orchestra is under the direction of Janna Hymes, who has put together a program which will include Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, coupled with Argentinian tango composer Astor Piazzolla’s Four Seasons, based on the original. Violin virtuoso Irina Muresanu will be the featured soloist for the performances. Music by Tchaikovsky and Puccini will round out the program.
The orchestra consists of professional musicians from all over Maine. They have played together under Hymes’ direction for the past three years.
Hymes is also music director of the Williamsburg Virginia Symphonia and is now in her eighth season. She was a student of Leonard Bernstein and a Fulbright Scholar and has been a guest conductor of some of the world’s leading orchestras. She is passionate about assisting young students and in May led the Maine All State Orchestra in a program of Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky and Bernstein.
Tickets are $25, $12 students. For reservations and times, contact each theater directly:
• Lincoln Theater, Damariscotta, 563 3424, http://www.lcct.org.
• The Strand, Rockland: 594 0070, http://www.rocklandstrand.com.
• The Grand, Ellsworth: 667 9500, http://www.grandonline.org.