Dead Mass. man sought for jury duty for 5 years

Posted June 27, 2011, at 10:16 p.m.

GEORGETOWN, Mass. — A Massachusetts man facing a criminal complaint for failing to appear for jury duty apparently had a good excuse.

He’s been dead for five years.

State Deputy Jury Commissioner John Cavanaugh said last week that the state will not proceed with serving a criminal complaint against Michael Wylie.

The late Georgetown resident was issued a notice to serve on jury duty five years ago but at the time he was in hospice care and had terminal cancer. He died a few months later but the commission continued to send letters about his failure to report.

Wylie’s family says they tried to tell authorities that he had died but officials say the family never sent a death certificate.

Recommend this article

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Nation