June 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Bangor man accused of threatening group with two loaded handguns

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A local man who got into a fight in the woods behind his house on Thursday with another Bangor man who reportedly owed him money allegedly pulled out a baton and hit him over the head and then used a Taser on him.

After the altercation, Eugene Cox, 39, went to his First Street home and got guns because he expected the altercation to continue, Bangor police Sgt. Ed Potter said on Friday.

“The [911] call came in initially as a man waving a gun around on First Street,” he said.

When police arrived at around 4:30 p.m., Cox told them that “a bunch of people showed up [at his home] with knives and that is why he had the guns,” the sergeant said. “He had put two guns on the hood of a car” after seeing Officer Jim Dearing and other police approaching.

Both handguns, a revolver and a semiautomatic, were loaded, Potter said. Police also took a collapsible baton off Cox, he said.

Cox initially was charged with threatening display of a firearm but additional felony charges were added after police interviewed the 52-year-old victim of the earlier baton assault.

“His head had been split open and he had to have staples,” Potter said of the victim, who was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center.

Cox claimed that the group of people around his home had knives, including the boyfriend of the victim’s daughter, but he did not have a knife, Potter said.

In addition to the threatening display of a firearm, Cox was charged with two felonies, aggravated assault and criminal threatening with a firearm, as well as criminal use of an electronic device.

If convicted of the aggravated assault, the most serious of the four crimes, Cox could face a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like