Bangor man charged with theft in welfare benefits case

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted June 07, 2011, at 8:54 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A Bangor man has been charged with theft after an investigation into the alleged overpayment of several thousands of dollars worth of general assistance benefits.

Shaun O’Brien, 51, was charged Tuesday with Class C felony theft of services, Bangor police Lt. Jeff Millard said Tuesday evening, citing a police report.

According to the police report, O’Brien allegedly underreported income figures on weekly applications for assistance from the city’s general assistance program, Millard said.

The report indicates that as a result of the misreporting, O’Brien was overpaid an estimated $4,500 in benefits between April 2010 and February 2011.

Millard said that while city police have been fielding complaints about general assistance fraud for years, the pace appears to be accelerating.

“It looks like the city is getting really serious about people bilking them,” he said.

Tuesday’s complaint was the second Bangor police have been called upon to investigate in the last week or so.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/07/news/bangor/bangor-man-charged-with-theft-in-welfare-benefits-case/ printed on August 20, 2014