June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Last man involved in Orrington gun shop theft to be sentenced

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR — The last of four men charged in connection with the break-in and theft of guns last summer in Orrington is scheduled to be sentenced at 9 a.m. Monday in U.S. District Court in Bangor.

Brandon Caparotta, 19, of Winterport has pleaded guilty to the theft of guns from a federally licensed firearms dealer and possession of stolen firearms.

Tyler Damon, 19, of Brewer was sentenced last week to four years in federal prison and three years of supervised release when he completes his prison term. In addition, U.S. District Judge John Woodcock ordered Damon to pay a $2,000 fine and restitution of about $1,500 to two separate victims.

Damon was one of four men charged in connection with the theft of about 20 guns on Aug. 23, 2010. His cousin Corey Ryan Damon, 20, of Millinocket was sentenced in March in the same courtroom in the Margaret Chase Smith Federal Building in Bangor to 14 years in prison and three years of supervised release. In addition, Woodcock ordered Corey Damon to share restitution payments with his cousin.

All three men pleaded guilty to theft of firearms from the premises of a federally licensed dealer and possession of stolen firearms. The theft charge was related to the Orrington break-in. The possession charge stemmed from a burglary in Millinocket that Corey Damon admitted committing alone prior to Aug. 23. The cousins admitted they both possessed guns taken from both locations.

The fourth man, Robert Ryan Barker, 30, of Dedham was indicted in October by a federal grand jury on charges of possession of stolen firearms, making a false statement in a firearms application and possession of firearms and ammunition after being involuntarily committed to a mental institution after a gun found in his possession was linked to the Orrington burglary.

Barker pleaded guilty in January to the possession after committal charge. In a plea agreement with federal prosecutors, the other two charges were dropped at his sentencing in May.

Woodcock sentenced Barker to 1½ years in prison, three years of supervised release and ordered him to pay a $1,000 fine.

Each man faced or faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

The Damons were arrested a few hours after the burglary on charges related to a stolen vehicle Corey Damon was driving. The pair was taken to the Penobscot County Jail, according to an affidavit filed in federal court. Caparotta was arrested Aug. 26 for his role in the incident.

The owner of the Orrington gun shop was alerted to the burglary by barking from Buddy, the family dog. Don Barrett, who has operated the gun shop in the basement of his home on Mill Creek Road for 30 years, was awakened by the Jack Russell terrier at about 2:45 a.m. Aug. 23.

A few minutes later, he found the door to his shop open and three Winchester rifles on the floor. Barrett told police he saw a car and a truck leaving the scene.

While investigating the burglary, Maine State Trooper Christopher Hashey learned a truck had gone off Wiswell Road in Brewer. The truck, which was being driven by Corey Damon, was reported stolen from Corinth, and in the bed of the truck was a mini-bike reported stolen from Winterport, Woodcock said in sentencing Tyler Damon.

The cousins were trying to steal a motorcycle when they got the truck stuck, the judge said Wednesday.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like