BANGOR, Maine — The second floor of a home at 161 Stillwater Ave. received significant smoke and heat damage Thursday in an early morning blaze. The first floor was almost untouched, according to the Bangor Fire Department.
The electrical fire was determined to be accidental, Assistant Fire Chief Rick Cheverie said Thursday evening. It started in the dressing room next to the master bedroom, he said.
No one was injured in the blaze, which was reported at 2:24 a.m.
The home, located near Birch Street, is owned by Al Sabin, who told investigators that he has lived there since 1950. The fire was reported by Sabin’s son, who was sleeping downstairs on a sofa. He called 911 after he woke up coughing from the smoke, according to Cheverie.
The house has never had smoke detectors, the assistant chief said.
“This was a lucky outcome given that there were no smoke detectors,” Cheverie said. “If the son had not been able to wake up when he began coughing, the outcome could have been much more severe. This is why we tell everybody to have smoke detectors and to test them often.”
BDN writer Christopher Cousins contributed to this report.