Knox teen pleads not guilty to manslaughter in shooting death of friend

Posted May 26, 2011, at 11:30 a.m.
Last modified May 26, 2011, at 2:36 p.m.
Luke Bryant
Waldo County Jail
Luke Bryant
Tyler Seaney
Courtesy photo
Tyler Seaney

BELFAST, Maine — A teenager accused of killing his friend pleaded not guilty to manslaughter Thursday in Waldo County Superior Court.

Luke Bryant, 19, of Knox is free on $100,000 surety bail after police say he killed his friend earlier this year.

According to a police affidavit, 19-year-old Tyler Seaney was using the bathroom at Bryant’s apartment on Feb. 19. When he came out, Bryant shot a 12-gauge shotgun at him. Several pellets struck Seaney in the neck, killing him.

The two friends were known for playing a game where they would point unloaded guns at each other and pull the trigger, making a popping noise, according to the police report. Bryant told police in February that he wasn’t playing the game that night, but instead was trying to clear a jam in the loaded shotgun and he accidentally pulled the trigger as his friend stepped out of the bathroom. Bryant called 911 and Seaney was pronounced dead at the scene.

In addition to entering a plea, Bryant was informed Thursday that he is not allowed to talk to several members of the Seaney family as part of his bail conditions.

Bryant’s attorney, Christopher MacLean said he likely will file court motions to suppress some interviews Bryant had with police.

If convicted of manslaughter, Bryant faces up to 30 years in jail and a $50,000 fine.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State