Solder in woodpile caused fire in Sangerville, chief says

A home owned by Andy Cookson on the McPhetres Road in Sangerville was damaged Wednesday by smoke and water after a fire broke out in the cellar of the home where Cookson was soldering a pipe. A hot spark ignited a woodpile in the cellar.
BDN Photo by Diana Bowley
A home owned by Andy Cookson on the McPhetres Road in Sangerville was damaged Wednesday by smoke and water after a fire broke out in the cellar of the home where Cookson was soldering a pipe. A hot spark ignited a woodpile in the cellar.
Posted May 25, 2011, at 1:12 p.m.
Last modified May 25, 2011, at 3 p.m.

SANGERVILLE, Maine — Solder that dropped into a woodpile Wednesday started a fire at a home owned by Andy Cookson on McPhetres Road.

Cookson, who owns the one-story home but lives elsewhere, was soldering a pipe in the cellar when solder fell onto a woodpile and ignited it, according to Sangerville Fire Chief Chuck Bean. Bean said the fire was contained to the basement, but the rest of the home had smoke and water damage. He said the home was insured.

Sangerville firefighters were assisted at the scene by Guilford and Dexter firefighters.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business