Three Dover-Foxcroft area boys accused of vandalizing more than 82 mailboxes

By Diana Bowley, BDN Staff
Posted May 24, 2011, at 12:44 p.m.

DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — Three Dover-Foxcroft area juveniles were summoned to court recently for vandalizing mailboxes in August 2010.

Dover-Foxcroft police Officer Kyle Wilson said Monday that the teenage boys, now ages 16 and 17, will make their initial court appearance on criminal mischief charges next month in Dover-Foxcroft District Court. Since juveniles are involved, the hearings will be closed.

While he suspected the teenagers were involved in last year’s spree — which involved vandalism to more than 82 mailboxes in Dover-Foxcroft and to some outside the town, as well as BB damage to windows — Wilson said he was unable to get enough evidence last year to charge them.The mailboxes were damaged with a stick, and the damage was done over a two-week period.

He said he caught one of the boys on April 22 egging a home in the same area of the previous vandalism. The boy allegedly told Wilson that he was involved in the vandalism and provided the names of the other juveniles who also participated. Wilson said one of the boys was involved in both the BB gun damage and the mailbox vandalism, while the other two were involved in one or the other.

The total damage was estimated at $1,500.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/05/24/news/piscataquis/three-dover-foxcroft-area-boys-accused-of-vandalizing-more-than-82-mailboxes/ printed on April 21, 2014