Tracks back in service after Bangor derailment

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Posted May 24, 2011, at 10:24 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — The section of railroad track that had been out of service since a derailment early Sunday has been made passable and on Tuesday morning was back in service.

The affected section of rail was repaired temporarily to allow for the slow passage of trains, or what Cynthia Scarano, spokeswoman for Massachusetts-based Pan Am Railways, described as “walk-throughs.”

Scarano expected the affected section of track, located behind Eastern Maine Medical Center, to be fully repaired by Wednesday or Thursday.

In the meantime, railroad workers are preparing to remove the seven cars that left the tracks about 6:45 a.m. Sunday morning. Scarano said Tuesday that the cars may have to be removed by a flatbed.

Railroad police are working to determine the derailment’s cause, she said.

The train, which consisted of two locomotives and 29 cars, was en route from Calais Junction to Ayer, Mass., when the derailment occurred, Scarano said. Six of the cars that went off the tracks were carrying gypsum wallboard and one was empty.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/05/24/news/bangor/tracks-back-in-service-after-bangor-derailment/ printed on July 25, 2014