Chief: Homeowner lucky couch cushion fire wasn’t worse

Rockland Fire Responded to a "smoke in the building" call on Friday evening at 54 Oliver Street and found that a couch was on fire.
Alan Athearn | Rockland Fire Department
Rockland Fire Responded to a "smoke in the building" call on Friday evening at 54 Oliver Street and found that a couch was on fire.
Posted May 21, 2011, at 1:48 p.m.
Last modified May 22, 2011, at 9:48 p.m.
Rockland Fire Responded to a "smoke in the building" call on Friday evening at 54 Oliver Street and found that a couch was on fire.
Alan Athearn | Rockland Fire Department
Rockland Fire Responded to a "smoke in the building" call on Friday evening at 54 Oliver Street and found that a couch was on fire.

ROCKLAND, Maine — A Rockland homeowner is lucky to still have a home after a fire Friday evening that burned a couch and could have been much worse, Rockland Fire Chief Charlie Jordan said Saturday afternoon.

A fire crew found the single-family home at 54 Oliver St. filled with smoke at about 6:20 p.m. Friday when the homeowner returned from an errand and called 911.

Jordan said careless disposal of smoking materials ignited a couch, burning through some cushions and part of the couch’s inner structure.

“Today’s furnishings in a house are basically all petroleum-based,” Jordan said. “Just that little bit of fuel is all it takes to fill a house with smoke.”

Jordan said firefighters were able to stop the blaze with a couple of gallons of water from a portable fire extinguisher. He said there was very little, if any, damage to the home but that the blaze easily could have claimed the home if it hadn’t been caught when it was.

Firefighters cleared the scene in about 45 minutes.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Midcoast